Micro-Trains Line Logging Camp Cars #3 Build
I built the Micro-Trains Line Dormitory Camp Cars Kit #2, now I am going to document the build for the camp cars kit #3. The cars are both about 32’ long but from coupler-to-coupler they are about 40’ long. Again, remember I am not a professional and I may deviate from the original instructions, or even worse… make mistake(s).
After opening the package, I laid out the pieces to check them over. I am not building the kits as logging cars, they are going to be added to my train of D&RGW MOW cars. So my first step is to use my Prismacolor pens to paint the outset sides. I used French Grey 20% broad end to color the pieces. I am not worried about uniform painting, these will be MOW cars.
Now, the kit assembly. The 3-piece chassis assembly is very simple since they are “peel-and-stick”. I have both chassis assembled, but this time I attached the wheels and trucks. I found it easier to attach the trucks at this stage since the chassis is flat and I can use the small screwdriver to apply pressure to the bolster pin. In my build of MTL’s Dormitory Camp Cars, I attached the trucks last which took some delicacy so I did not damage the assembled car. And my preference in using Tacky Glue, but any wood glue will work. And to apply the glue I use a toothpick or the safety pin, sometimes it is easier to hold the safety pin.
The MOW cars are really developing their own unique personality. If you notice the door frames, window frames, clerestory’s, and windows, are installed BEFORE attaching them to the chassis. In my previous logging car build, it was cumbersome to me to attach the window frames and windows after the sides were previously attached to the chassis. The progress of this page completes Page #1 and Page #3 instructions. This also partially completes Page #2 instructions.
The next photo displays the completed Page #2 instructions. The trim strips have been applied covering the center/end support tabs. Use tweezers to lightly place the piece onto the area of coverage, then used a toothpick to set the piece.
The cars are really developing. There is an extra window frame, window, and strips for a future use. I keep everything that is left over.
I attached the roof upside down (wood up). I plan to use Elmer’s Washable White glue to attach the roof paper. Some roof pieces fit in a specific manner, so be aware of that. This photo completes the instructions for Page #4. I took the Prismacolor pen to “color in” any bare spots around the windows and trim pieces.
The roof tarp is attached and the stacks are set. This photo shows the completed instructions for Page #4 and Page #5. The last item(s) to attach are the couplers. These car kits are very nice. Normally one could spend a few nights assembling the cars. I am sure there are some speed demons out there that could easily build the cars in a day.
The stacks have been painted with Polly Scale Tarnished Black. I started to use some chalks on the roofing. I used a few shades of gray, black, brown, and some reddish brown around the stacks. I applied my custom D&RGW MOW decals. Now I have two more unique MOW cars for my train project. I plan to weather the cars more with chalks, then seal with Testor’s Dullcoat.