Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 18, 2024

Forum Search

Keyword

Early Z scale Micro-Trains DC power packs?

More
14 years 4 months ago #6880 by Cypress Hills
Early Z scale Micro-Trains DC power packs? was created by Cypress Hills
Back in the mid 80's or so, when Micro-Trains was formed from Kadee, they produced a power pack that operated at the correct voltage for Micro-Trains vs. Marklin's blue beast.

I can't recall who made those power packs or if they're still available for the chap who only wants to use DC and run and watch his railroad.

Can anyone assist me with these questions?

Murray:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6885 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:Early Z scale Micro-Trains DC power packs?
Murray, you still can get one at Zscalemonster. The items is #500-195 Z Scale MRC Power Pack, and the link www.zscalemonster.com/mrc/

More
14 years 4 months ago #6893 by Cypress Hills
Replied by Cypress Hills on topic Re:Early Z scale Micro-Trains DC power packs?
Thanks for the heads up.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6899 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Re:Early Z scale Micro-Trains DC power packs?
Murray,

No need to worry. The MRC power pack that MTL sold was modified by putting a mechanical stop on it, a.k.a a screw, to protect users from the explosive, disastrous and irreversable damage of a standard power pack. Naw, just joshing you. They did put a screw in it tho to limit the voltage. You can use a regular pack, just be aware not to turn it up all the way. The Märklin packs are fine for everything except MTL's F7's which draw more current than Märklin's locos (or MTL's own GP's or AZL's SD or GPs too). If you aren't running MTL's F7's, anybody's power pack will work. It's NOT the voltage applied to the motor, it is the resulting power (voltage times current) that creates heat in the motor. A loaded loco (LONG train, poor gears or truck performance, towing an MTL B unit, etc.) are what creates more current and thus heat.

Since the Märklin power pack doesn't have much power, when you put a more demanding loco on it (pretty much only MTL's F7's), the cause the output voltage to drop. So you have to 'turn it up' more. As long as the power pack's voltage stays relatively below 10V, you shouldn't have an overheating problem.

If you had a super power pack, like HO, that has more voltage AND current, what is a problem is when the loco doesn't run as fast as you would like (they ALL should be running at "Lionel" speed by 9 volts anyway). So you would turn it up to higher voltage. This simply creates more power in the loco which means heat. If you don't feel an overly warm loco, they really isn't a problem with any power pack. Just don't knowingly turn it up above 8-10 volts and you won't have such a problem. But you don't run Lionel speeds anyway (I hope).

More
14 years 4 months ago #6916 by liltoot
Replied by liltoot on topic Re:Early Z scale Micro-Trains DC power packs?
if you need a new marklin powerpack,, i have over 35,, email me. canada mike

More
14 years 4 months ago #6925 by Cypress Hills
Replied by Cypress Hills on topic Re:Early Z scale Micro-Trains DC power packs?
Is the Railpower 1300 any good after sitting idle for 20 + years?

I envision two separate lines, about 7m (20 feet) on a loop with trains running in both directions, never coming in contact with each other. Very little if any turnouts.

Would 2 separate Railpower 1300's do the trick? This is model railfanning in 1:220 scale.

Being cheap, I'd prefer not to lay out a fortune on new transformers.

Anyone care to edjabacate me (as Popeye the sailor would say)?

Murray
Medicine Hat, AB

More
14 years 4 months ago #6935 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Re:Early Z scale Micro-Trains DC power packs?
No problem with age. If it turns on, it will run. Nothing but a variable transformer, rectifiers and filter capacitor. The capacitor should 'technically' be replaced but it will still work well ! Two of them or any power pack you can get, even mix and match will be fine.

Now, go run your trains ! (and have fun ;)

Jeff
SF Bay Area Z

Moderators: SJ-BAZ-man
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds