Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, April 19, 2024

Forum Search

Keyword

Scratch Built usCG Mackinaw in Z

More
9 years 11 months ago #17181 by JoeD
Scratch Built usCG Mackinaw in Z was created by JoeD

Howdy. Looks like some interesting Z work is starting to move in my direction. I've been contacted about a number of commissions, specifically Z scale Coast Guard and general watercraft and this is the first project I am starting. Not a huge fan of the Great Lakes region for railroading but the maritime traffic was very cool. This is the USGB Mackinaw Ice Breaker in Z and measures north of 17" long by about 4.5 Inches wide. Hull is carved from Bass and upperworks are a combination of acrylic and laserboard. A few more of these and I can move to Vegas :) I have more finished and will post as I go.

Cheers

Joe D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, southernnscale, JMCmodels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #17186 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: Scratch Built usCG Mackinaw in Z
Joe, I hope you keep us posted on your progress. It is an interesting model- though I was partial to the Wind class.
Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
9 years 11 months ago #17187 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re: Scratch Built usCG Mackinaw in Z
Joe I worked on this vessel in Cheboygan MI in 2002 when the company I worked for was tasked with repairing the steering gear to extend the vessels life for at least 2 seasons while they waited for her replacement USCGC Mackinaw WLBB-30 finally delivered in 2006. USCGC Mackinaw WAGB-83 is now a museum on the waterfront at Mackinaw City MI. Sailed on her for a week in 2002. during trails. She was a grand old lady and reminiscent of an earlier era of larger ships, with lots of varnished woodwork inside her bridge, wireless office and officers cabins and wardroom.

cheerz Garth

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds