Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 20, 2022

Forum Search

Keyword

Any hints on making a pine tree forest

More
11 years 6 months ago #9879 by ron222
I have about 18 premade pine trees. I have alot of greenery to make tree tops. Is there an easier way to make a forest without buying 4000 trees. Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9880 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Contact Loren (tealplanes) for a link to his video on making pine trees or place a contract for 4000 trees with him. Might take awhile.

cheerz Garth :woohoo: :ohmy: :unsure:

cheerz Garth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9882 by eit27
Replied by eit27 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Here is the link for the video.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9884 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Here is some of the 2000 trees I made using Loren's method. Jim
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9886 by ron222
Replied by ron222 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Really 2000 trees? Wow! Thanks for the link great video! How long did it take you to make all those?.Chennele bump? Green foam? Did you get these at Michaels and do I have the correct name for them? Ron

Socalz44 wrote:

Here is some of the 2000 trees I made using Loren's method. Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9889 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Ron,

Jim and I are the undisputed tree making kings, but neither one of us gets any thrills anymore from making all the trees we have. I know I've made over 5,000 myself and even
Smokey the bear doesn't like to come to Jim's or my home any more. Too many darn trees.

We do use Chenille bumps as you guessed. You can use any color since you will be spray painting the tree armature prior to adding ground foam for the greenery. Michael's does not carry the bumps and the only place that I am aware of that carries them is Bolek's Craft store on line..... www.bolekscrafts.com/

Jim has made every one of his trees the old fashioned way.....one at a time by hand using a cordless drill. I've made many the same way, but finally designed a tree armature winding machine that cranked them out much faster. I tell you the truth, after having made about two acres worth of trees, you are about ready for the nut farm with the rubber room. :o) It isn't quite that bad, but you will spend many an evening making trees if you want a realistic looking forest with a lot of variety.

Neither Jim nor myself have figured out all the perfect ways to make evergreen trees, but this is by far the most realistic and quickest way to mass produce to any extent.

In looking at Jim's scene here you get an idea of the countless hours Jim spent making all those trees, one at a time.

BTW, both Jim and I guarantee our trees to be spotted owl, tree hugger, disease, and insect free for 90 days or 3 Z scale seasons......

Loren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9898 by ron222
Replied by ron222 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Don't think I really have to get that many trees as my board is a small 20 by 48 inches. Starting real slow and small as money is tight. Don't even think I'll get a second track in for a while. Are both of you working with Z gauge as these trees must be even smaller. Thanks Ron




tealplanes wrote:

Ron,

Jim and I are the undisputed tree making kings, but neither one of us gets any thrills anymore from making all the trees we have. I know I've made over 5,000 myself and even
Smokey the bear doesn't like to come to Jim's or my home any more. Too many darn trees.

We do use Chenille bumps as you guessed. You can use any color since you will be spray painting the tree armature prior to adding ground foam for the greenery. Michael's does not carry the bumps and the only place that I am aware of that carries them is Bolek's Craft store on line..... www.bolekscrafts.com/

Jim has made every one of his trees the old fashioned way.....one at a time by hand using a cordless drill. I've made many the same way, but finally designed a tree armature winding machine that cranked them out much faster. I tell you the truth, after having made about two acres worth of trees, you are about ready for the nut farm with the rubber room. :o) It isn't quite that bad, but you will spend many an evening making trees if you want a realistic looking forest with a lot of variety.

Neither Jim nor myself have figured out all the perfect ways to make evergreen trees, but this is by far the most realistic and quickest way to mass produce to any extent.

In looking at Jim's scene here you get an idea of the countless hours Jim spent making all those trees, one at a time.

BTW, both Jim and I guarantee our trees to be spotted owl, tree hugger, disease, and insect free for 90 days or 3 Z scale seasons......

Loren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9899 by ron222
Replied by ron222 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Added some powered grass etc. Is this going ok? Ron



Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9903 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
You guys are the Kings of the forest!.
I cant get that fuzzy stuff over here in Germany. ( Watch our German friends give me links to 20 places)
I was wondering if you guys tried sisal? The stuff rope is made of (no not hemp, you would never find that in the woods of California/Oregon.
I know there are people out there selling tree making machine kits, and thats what they are using.
You think that would be out of scale for Z? I can get tons of that stuff for pennies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9910 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Kelly,
Yes, I've used sisal but it's always wound into rope which needs to be unwound and that takes time and time is money and on and on. It works great for trees where you want to shape the limbs either up or down and they stay in that position. Kind of hard to lay onto the wire that is then wound. Not my first choice, but by no means not usable.

Do you want some of that fuzzy stuff? I take it you mean the Chenille? I can get some for you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9911 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Kelly,
Yes, I've used sisal but it's always wound into rope which needs to be unwound and that takes time and time is money and on and on. It works great for trees where you want to shape the limbs either up or down and they stay in that position. Kind of hard to lay onto the wire that is then wound. Not my first choice, but by no means not usable.

Do you want some of that fuzzy stuff? I take it you mean the Chenille? I can get some for you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9912 by ron222
Replied by ron222 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Do they sell tree making machine kits I never saw a kit. Do you have a link? Thanks Ron
Kelley wrote:

You guys are the Kings of the forest!.
I cant get that fuzzy stuff over here in Germany. ( Watch our German friends give me links to 20 places)
I was wondering if you guys tried sisal? The stuff rope is made of (no not hemp, you would never find that in the woods of California/Oregon.
I know there are people out there selling tree making machine kits, and thats what they are using.
You think that would be out of scale for Z? I can get tons of that stuff for pennies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9913 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Hi Loren.
Thanks for the offer, but I am a flat lander from the Midwest. We used to cut scrubby little ceder trees for our Christmas trees. Even when I'm making German stuff I have enough of the little bottle brush trees laying around.
...I don't know where I seen the machine..it is actually the setup like Loren has,sold as a set , and some kind of chopper type cutter for the rope. I saw it online but no idea where. I do remeber it was kind of pricey. If you don't have a drill or two, you are better off spending your money on one, as its better to have a tool you can use for multiple tasks, as one set up for only one purpose.
I think Loren has it down to a science..you can't go wrong with his method.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9914 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Kelly,
Down to a science? Don't tell anyone but I did poorly in physical science class and dropped chemistry because I 'just didn't get it' Hands I got, brains...well, next subject.

I guess I passed biology 1, but the frog died and the chicken embryos never lived..... :o)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9915 by spyder62
Replied by spyder62 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
you can also use some of out new armatures have sizes from 3/4 inch to 3 in in stock now. Still need to get the rest on site.
rich
www.rslaserkits.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9916 by ron222
Replied by ron222 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Where is your site for kits and stuff? Ron
spyder62 wrote:

you can also use some of out new armatures have sizes from 3/4 inch to 3 in in stock now. Still need to get the rest on site.
rich
www.rslaserkits.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9917 by spyder62
Replied by spyder62 on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Ron
link to site is right under my name www.rslaserkits.com then go to the scenic supply page using the buttons on the left hand side.
thanks
rich
www.rslasekts.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9918 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
tealplanes wrote:

Kelly,
Down to a science? Don't tell anyone but I did poorly in physical science class and dropped chemistry because I 'just didn't get it' Hands I got, brains...well, next subject.

I guess I passed biology 1, but the frog died and the chicken embryos never lived..... :o)

I flunked all those too..I did get a B- from my Proff in art..even though I only did half the class.
Now if I got one genuine Loren pine tree..I am sure I would put it in some place of honor on something I was building.. Genuine imported Oregon Christmas tree.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9919 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Kelly,
Are you still over there somewhere keeping our country on the cutting edge and secure?

Tell you what guy............I'll make you the best dad gum Christmas tree in Z scale and send it to you if you're still stuck over there somewhere. Too small to put presents under, but it will sure look good growing wherever you plant it. No water, fertilizer, or pesticide needed. Just keep the mountain lions away from it and it will thrive for ages to come. Who knows, maybe someday it will become a daddy tree to a bunch of little firettes?

Loren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #9921 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re: Any hints on making a pine tree forest
Thanks Loren..I am not "over there" anymore..I am at this time in Germany. Lots of pines and firs and other green things. No mountain lions though. And thank goodness no camels either.
But I would still love to have an Oregon tree to show off!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds