Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 18, 2024

Thrall Phase 3 60'8" Opera Centerbeam

More
15 years 3 months ago #1678 by RRAY
Today's Centerbeam history lesson boys and girls is Thrall Phase 3 60'8" Opera Centerbeam Wallboard Cars.

This is the third phase, and last of the 60'8" Opera Window Centerbeams, before Thrall moved to the Quad Truss design. At this phase, the 60' cars were known as wallboard cars, because the 4000+ 73' cars produced by this time had taken over the general lumber hauling.

This shot compares the car to a Second Phase Gunderson 60'8" car (left) built '88-'89 with the 3rd phase Thrall built '87.

The top beams of Gunderson cars are noticeably different than the Thrall cars. Other spotting features are there are only 11 opera windows where all other 60'8" Opera Centerbeams had 12, a toolbox on each side under the deck between the 9th and 10th operas, and there are 16 winches per side instead of 15 on all other cars this length.

This 3rd phase Thrall design is the only Centerbeam cars I know of that had toolboxes built in. As of 2007, HE lists 48 of 50 of these cars still in service.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alaska Railroader
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #1681 by Alaska Railroader
Replied by Alaska Railroader on topic Re:Thrall Phase 3 60'8" Opera Centerbeam
Robert, inCREDible workmanship and nice centerbeam education for free:)

More
15 years 3 months ago #1682 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Thrall Phase 3 60'8" Opera Centerbeam
Robert, Outstanding as always. Makes me wish I was into modern era. Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:

More
15 years 3 months ago #1685 by JR59
Replied by JR59 on topic Re:Thrall Phase 3 60'8" Opera Centerbeam
Very nice Robert! Will those be available as Kit's?

More
15 years 3 months ago #1704 by RRAY
Replied by RRAY on topic Re:Thrall Phase 3 60'8" Opera Centerbeam
What I plan on doing is update the complete line of centerbeam cars with newer easier peel & stick assembly, and updated decals for better accuracy. The beauty is I should be able to keep the cost the same, for a better, more accurate, and easier to assemble kit! B)

Robert

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds