Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, May 16, 2024

Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide

More
15 years 2 months ago #2783 by David K. Smith
Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide was created by David K. Smith
jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_2.htm

Be prepared for a BIG surprise...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2784 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide
Another great article David. I am not surprised only because I read all your writing on Railwire, so I chated a little bit.:laugh:

More
15 years 2 months ago #2785 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide
David, Wonderful. This should be a big help. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2786 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide
David, Thanks for the fair and in depth report on couplers and trucks.
I found the comparisons interesting.
Fred

• TechRepJapan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #2788 by TechRepJapan
Replied by TechRepJapan on topic Re:Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide
Mr. David K. Smith! :woohoo:

Another FINE piece of detailed research in words that only Mr. Smith can provide in that certain and unmistakable tone.

I'm a big fan of Uncle Will's Full Throttle products. I look forward to the first release with the new trucks and couplers.

Thank You, Sir!

Alex :dry:
Tokyo, Japan

More
15 years 2 months ago #2792 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide
David, helping us out with your reviews as always. Nice job. Let us hope for excellent couplers to come.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2794 by davidf
Replied by davidf on topic Re:Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide
i wonder how well they will work pulling 50+ cars. this has yet to be seen. i think the trucks/couplers will be very well received, but they are still without the tests that required AZL to go back and redo their coupler design. i hope they turn out well, i like the shorter coupler shank length. if they turn out to be as good as hoped uncle will should mass produce quickly (otherwise he would be no different than MTL: being the soul user and provider of trucks/couplers for only his products).
dave f.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2801 by Socalz44
Dave, I have personally seen 50 cars pulled by 2 gp35s with MTL couplers. Once they hit the 2% grade and curve there were uncouplings. I would assume there is no reason all AZL couplers could pull a 100 or more. Also, I would bet the house that the new Bowser's will do the same. m2cw. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 2 months ago #2802 by davidf
yes, of course you are right jim. uncouplings are one of the things the mods to MTL couplers is meant to reduce. but of those 50 how many couplers disintegrated (as has happened with the first AZLs). i like the look and design and benefits of the new bowser couplers. to be honest, if they are everything they're advertized to be, they will be the new industry standard (sorry MTL, but you shot yourself in the foot with the decision you made to restrict your distribution).

i just look at the bowser couplers and wonder what will hold that knuckle in when the pulling stresses are applied. it may be a total non-issue, but until we have them that is the question that i had from seeing the pictures.
dave f.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2805 by Socalz44
Dave, Of course we will have to wait to see how they work on our own equipment and situations. I'm definitely interest because I'm a runner. As for MTL. It makes you wonder if the decision was made by only one person or not. I'm thinking good luck for us and bad luck for them. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2806 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re:Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide
I think it will take an awful lot to pull a Bowser coupler apart. This illustration should help show how they're assembled. The knuckle (blue) pivots on the trip pin in the same hole as the main shank (black), just like a hinge. The large shank hole fits over a solid pin inside the pocket. Because the coupler shank is solid, and not split, I think it will also resist bending up or down, the way M-Ts do under high tension.

Probably the biggest question mark is the draft angle on the inside of the knuckle, which is M-T's Achilles heel. But since this coupler is still in the pre-production prototyping phase, the final product could be quite different than what I received from Will. I'm already working with him to help iron out some of the bugs.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2807 by davidf
that's what i wanted to know. thanks david

(btw: nice art work!!)

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2808 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re:Z Scale Truck and Coupler Guide
davidf wrote:

btw: nice art work!!

Thanks. I traced it directly from a photograph of the actual parts, so it's as accurate as it can possibly be.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds