Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 17, 2024

Aztec Track Cleaning Cars

More
15 years 1 month ago #3938 by eit27
Aztec Track Cleaning Cars was created by eit27
Does anyone have any thing to say about these cleaning cars? Do they really work well? Thanks for any input.

Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3942 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Hi Ed, My research shows that there is about a 70% approval rating on the Aztec cleaning car. I've be meaning to get one and give it a try. So it looks like a majority like it. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3946 by eit27
Replied by eit27 on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Jim,

Thank you for your input.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3948 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
We run the Aztec track cleaning cars on our modules all of the time. I also use one when test running locos for AZL. They definitely work to help keep the heavy grime off the top of the rails. These cars are very well engineered. I have two myself.

Rob

More
15 years 1 month ago #3950 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Which model of Aztec track cleaner do you use for Z scale? What cleaning solutions do you use?

More
15 years 1 month ago #3951 by Socalz44
Beverly, Of course for your little Z layout you don't need a track cleaning car. Track must be extra clean in our scale, mainly because our locos tend to be a bit light. I use one of those eraser type cleaners. They are available from most train/hobby shops. Also, I use a Popcicle stick. I cut the round end off and simply run the stick around my track. When it gets dirty (the stick), I just cut off the dirty part and I'm ready to go again. Occasionally I will rub my track with alcohol. Many do this, and the lint free cloth always comes up dirty. My Southern Division is the perfect place for a track cleaning car, there are some hard to reach places. I just haven't had the nerve to pay for one yet. I don't think these cars are necessary on most layouts that can be 'reached' from all sides. M2CW. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3953 by Beverly56
Replied by Beverly56 on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Hi Jim,

For our micro layout, we're using the eraser cleaner as well as dust-free cloth with no cleaning solution. When you say you use alcohol, do you mean isopropyl (sp?) alcohol?

I was thinking of the track cleaning car for our future larger layout. It will have a footprint of least 24" by 72" and will have hard to some reach areas. I'm just trying to plan ahead :)

TIA :)

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3955 by Socalz44
Beverly, Yes, isopropyl. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3966 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Another virtue of a track cleaning car is that it makes useful work for a loco. You can sit (or stand or whatever) and watch your little Br 89 or 260 shuffle busily around the layout on its vital task :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3969 by GNFan
Replied by GNFan on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
ausman2001 wrote:

Another virtue of a track cleaning car is that it makes useful work for a loco. You can sit (or stand or whatever) and watch your little Br 89 or 260 shuffle busily around the layout on its vital task :)

A lint-free cloth, propelled by hand, no less, just isn't the same, somehow. ;-)

Mike

More
15 years 1 month ago #3970 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Well, for my 2 cents, I have the Marklin yellow rail bus with the cleaning wheels. I ran it around my double circle last week and love to watch the sparks fly from the grinding wheels. After about 6 trips around, my engines just purr.

Robert

More
15 years 1 month ago #3974 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Robert, Marklin also make a track cleaning car based on a gondola. Do you know if it works as well? The reason I ask is that those rail buses are, in my opinion, the ugliest thing that ever ran on rails and I will NOT have one, in any guise, on my layout!

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3982 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
ausman2001 wrote:

Marklin also make a track cleaning car based on a gondola. Do you know if it works as well? The reason I ask is that those rail buses are, in my opinion, the ugliest thing that ever ran on rails and I will NOT have one, in any guise, on my layout!

Well, the railbus might have been (or still is) the ugliest thing on rails, but without the railbus a lot of traffic on rails wouldn't have happend...

...but to come back to the topic here. I have the Gondola type track cleaning car from Maerklin. It works like a charm, and you can also soak the pad with a cleaning fluid of your choice. The pad can be changed and washed if it is too dirty.

Another advantage against the yellow track mill is that you won't rough up the rails. If those are too rough then the dirt will hold better and the track will ger dirtier faster.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 1 month ago #3999 by TIMX
Replied by TIMX on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Always an interesting topic! I just thought I would throw in that the Aztec, at least the one I have, does not require any cleaning solution. In fact I would guess that it might hinder the cleaning.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #4001 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
my Aztk car.

Just playing with pictures size, and showing it how to do during chat

More
15 years 1 month ago #4002 by eit27
Replied by eit27 on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Great looking car. Can hardly tell its a cleaning car.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #4003 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Hello Tim,
TIMX wrote:

the Aztec [...] does not require any cleaning solution. In fact I would guess that it might hinder the cleaning.

No, it doesn't hinder the cleaning if you use a good one. I have the Maerklin 86501 car, and I let it run dry in a normal train. This way it cleans all the time. If a track gets really dirty then I soak the pad with alcohol.

A great article about track cleaning with different rolling stock you can find on the website of David Karp .
Another great article is on the website from John Cubbin .

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 1 month ago #4006 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
Ulie,

I will check out that Maerklin car you suggested. I never thought about the railbus roughing up the tracks.

Robert

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #4009 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars

More
15 years 1 month ago #4011 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Aztec Track Cleaning Cars
shamoo737 wrote:

my Aztk car.

Just playing with pictures size, and showing it how to do during chat

Isn't it a Nn3 sample?

Dom

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds