Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Monday, April 29, 2024

Announcing Z Central Weathering Challenge

More
14 years 4 months ago #7038 by ztrack
You know, Ztrack would be willing to provide a prize such as a AZL single car or MTL DT&I or P&LE set to the winner of the challenge. Thoughts?

Alex, great photos you found! Wow, that Du Pont car needs a paint job, but at least there is no graffiti. LOL!

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #7039 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:Announcing Z Central Weathering Challenge
And maybe StoneBridgeDesigns could chip in to the prize pile unless you want to go solo Rob?

Loren

P.S. Does that mean you and I couldn't enter since we might be donating a prize?:laugh:

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #7041 by BillMock
Replied by BillMock on topic Re:Announcing Z Central Weathering Challenge
Thank you to Rob, Loren and Karen for your generosity. You do so much for Z scale community.
But for me, personally; I’m not weathering to win prizes or even the admiration from my peers. I do it for the fun.
I’d like to participate in this Weathering Challenge to help teach others Z scalers how to have more fun in this hobby and to challenge myself to better my skills.
So the gift of your prize is appreciated. But I’d rather lift a nice glass of red wine in toast to you in April. :cheer:
Bill Mock

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #7042 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re:Announcing Z Central Weathering Challenge
BillMock wrote:

Thank you to Rob, Loren and Karen for your generosity. You do so much for Z scale community.
But for me, personally; I’m not weathering to win prizes or even the admiration from my peers. I do it for the fun.
I’d like to participate in this Weathering Challenge to help teach others Z scalers how to have more fun in this hobby and to challenge myself to better my skills.
So the gift of your prize is appreciated. But I’d rather lift a nice glass of red wine in toast to you in April.
Bill Mock

Very well put, Bill! I concur completely (except that I prefer rosé).

More
14 years 4 months ago #7052 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:Announcing Z Central Weathering Challenge
Ok guys, no prize for you, just a nice glass of your favorite. Me?.....I'll have a Pepsi please;)

Just having the fun of being a part of a neat exercise is prize enough. Was just offering.

So.........better get the car situation figured out and away we go !!!!!!

Loren

More
14 years 4 months ago #7053 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:Announcing Z Central Weathering Challenge
Jerry and I are discussing on which car to do, and the front runner is the MTL Railbox. Most of us bough the runner pack, but some of you missed out on it. I talk to Loren, and he still has three of them. Anthony has them, but they are transition cars.

On the steam era/transition period car, we need help. We like the car that really bridge those two eras so we can get as many entries as possible. Maybe David or Jim can offer some suggestions. By the way, we want a boxcar.

More
14 years 4 months ago #7054 by BillMock
Oh good. I'm done with the first challenge. I've got all four weathered up already.:lol: No worries, I'll do another one. Would anybody be willing to split a four car runner pack for us?
How about a stock car for the next one? They get really beat up and are a transition era car. A few left in stock at some dealers.
Bill Mock

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #7055 by David K. Smith
shamoo737 wrote:

On the steam era/transition period car, we need help. We like the car that really bridge those two eras so we can get as many entries as possible. Maybe David or Jim can offer some suggestions. By the way, we want a boxcar.

The Micro-Trains 40-foot single-door steel boxcar is perfect. This car was one of the most popular freight cars of the day, appearing around WWII and surviving into the 70s (although those that continued to serve after the 70s had their roofwalks removed).

people.msoe.edu/~westr/Pictures/Northwest%20Short%20Lines%20and%20Museums/CBQ%2018288.JPG

As an alternative suggestion, if you'll go with something other than a boxcar, would be any of the open hopper cars from Full Throttle. These were ubiquitous during the steam era and many soldiered on well past the transition period.

www.greenbayroute.com/1972418.jpg

More
14 years 4 months ago #7056 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:Announcing Z Central Weathering Challenge
BillMock wrote:

Oh good. I'm done with the first challenge. I've got all four weathered up already.:lol: No worries, I'll do another one. Would anybody be willing to split a four car runner pack for us?
How about a stock car for the next one? They get really beat up and are a transition era car. A few left in stock at some dealers.
Bill Mock

Bill, Loren has three singles.

More
14 years 4 months ago #7057 by BillMock
Excellent! I'll order up some AZL Hi Cubes from Loren as well when I get the RailBox.
This is going to be FUN!!! :woohoo:
Bill Mock

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #7058 by animek
CRAZ13 wrote:

The second challenge will begin March 1st. The first person to post a picture on Z Central Station of a currently produced model or prototype car that has a Z scale replica will be the car all participants will weather....

Question here:
Will this be like sniping an Ebay Auction? By this I mean, during February 28, peoples will be waiting at midnight at 11h59:58sec to post the pictures that they'll want as the main contest subject? :laugh: Or I don't understand correctly the process. :huh:

Ben

My web site: www.animekmodels.com

More
14 years 4 months ago #7066 by craZ13
Ben,
That was the original idea......may need some refining.

Jerry
B)

More
14 years 4 months ago #7067 by Mr.JA
shamoo737 wrote:

Loren has three singles.

John... Loren has two singles. ;)

More
14 years 4 months ago #7069 by liltoot
Replied by liltoot on topic Re:Announcing Z Central Weathering Challenge
THE SHORT LIST IDEA, I LIKE. BUT LETS ADD A MARKLIN UNIT IN THE LIST. PERSONALLY IT SOUNDS LIKE FUN,, BUT LIKE SOME SAY,, IM NOT GOING OUT N BUYING A CAR JUST FOR THIS, IF I HAVE IT, THEN IM IN I GUESS.;) PLUS IF I HAVE TO BUY THE CAR, I LL GET IT 3 WEEKS LATER THAN YOU GUYS, BLOODY CUSTOMS,,GOD I HATE BUSH!!!!!

More
14 years 4 months ago #7071 by David K. Smith
CRAZ13 wrote:

Ben,
That was the original idea......may need some refining.

I'd recommend running the second round just like the first. It could otherwise get a little hairy. Maybe run some polls for car choices instead.

More
14 years 4 months ago #7072 by David K. Smith
animek wrote:

CRAZ13 wrote:

The second challenge will begin March 1st. The first person to post a picture on Z Central Station of a currently produced model or prototype car that has a Z scale replica will be the car all participants will weather....

Question here:
Will this be like sniping an Ebay Auction? By this I mean, during February 28, peoples will be waiting at midnight at 11h59:58sec to post the pictures that they'll want as the main contest subject? :laugh: Or I don't understand correctly the process. :huh:

Ben

I could see someone posting something like this--

--and how many of us have one of these?

More
14 years 4 months ago #7073 by Mr.JA
David K. Smith wrote:

I could see someone posting something like this--

--and how many of us have one of these?

I saw these the other day. B) It seems to be a new release from Crown Model PRMLOCO. While I am not so much a rivit-counter :dry: ... some how these do not look completely correct. To me, the details such as the railings and steps look and feel to be a bit large for Z. :huh: They remind me of the ladders being used on AZL's 3-bay, 4-bay, and PS-2cd hoppers. :blink:

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #7074 by David K. Smith
TechRep wrote:

... some how these do not look completely correct. To me, the details such as the railings and steps look and feel to be a bit large for Z. They remind me of the ladders being used on AZL's 3-bay, 4-bay, and PS-2cd hoppers.

I would speculate that the weight of such details is a consequence of what's practical to manufacture. Closer-to-scale details are certainly possible, but then the price would start to rise. And you'll never see truly scale ladders or railings on commercial Z scale rolling stock, since these would not only be virtually impossible to manufacture, but they'd make the model virtually impossible to handle.

Consider: the typical grab iron is about .75 inches in diameter. That's .003 inches in Z scale, or roughly three times the thickness of human hair.

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #7077 by ztrack
I came across this photo today on Railpictures.net. I immediately thought of ths thread. Sure, this is a photo of hoppers, but notice how the aluminum cars interiors show far less weathering than the older steel cars. I find this an interesting detail that would stand out in a yard scenario.

I know you guys are doing hoppers, but I thought this image was cool and wanted to share.

Rob

More
14 years 4 months ago #7082 by BillMock

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds