Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Tuesday, April 30, 2024

AZL January 2010 New Releases!

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7225 by ztrack
AZL January 2010 New Releases! was created by ztrack

American Z Line has announced three new cars for January! The first is a runner pack of Cargill Foods (CRGX) 23,000 gallon funnel flow tank cars. This car is only being offered in a runner pack of four cars. No singles are being offered. The set is item 90504-1. The roadnumbers are: 16193, 16207, 16212 and 16328. The MSRP is $113.00.

The second new release is a runner pack and single of MKT PS2-cd covered hoppers. The runner pack is item 90907-1. The roadnumbers are: 4219, 4236, 4237 and 4255. The MSRP is $125.00. The single is item 91907-1 and the roadnumber is 4264. The MSRP is $32.00.

The third new release is a runner pack and single of Southern PS2-cd covered hoppers. The runner pack is item 90911-1 and the roadnumbers are 88519, 88494, 88421 and 88276. The MSRP is $125.00. The single car is item 91911-1 and the roadnumber is 88545. The MSRP is $32.00.

All three releases are limited edition runs.

To order, please visit your authorized AZL dealer or order direct at: www.ztrackcenter.com/

Happy New Year!
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7226 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re:AZL January 2010 New Releases!
While I am very happy to see the Cargill release :woohoo: ... WHY NO SINGLES?! :angry:

More
14 years 3 months ago #7227 by Mr.JA
Does the SOUTHERN set have prototypical numbering on the different cars? :dry: Some cars are numbered with a number in each panel... some are numbered with a spaced panel between the second and third numbers. :blink:

rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=446120

rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=183046

rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=106604

rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=709416

rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=117010

More
14 years 3 months ago #7228 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:AZL January 2010 New Releases!
TechRep wrote:

While I am very happy to see the Cargill release :woohoo: ... WHY NO SINGLES?! :angry:

Alex,
Actually this idea of no singles has been in the works for some time now. You see, all of us dealers have decided to make it tougher for you guys to buy milk and eggs, simply by eliminating the singles and forcing you to either buy four packs, or go without......
Seems to be causing quite a stir over in the land of the rising sun.......;)

Loren

More
14 years 3 months ago #7229 by tealplanes
TechRep wrote:

Does the SOUTHERN set have prototypical numbering on the different cars? :dry: Some cars are numbered with a number in each panel... some are numbered with a spaced panel between the second and third numbers. :blink:

From the picture Rob posted, it appears to be one number in each panel.

Hey, those pictures show some very nice weathering. A worthy goal for anyone who likes to 'age' their rolling stock.
Loren

More
14 years 3 months ago #7230 by Mr.JA
tealplanes wrote:

From the picture Rob posted, it appears to be one number in each panel. Loren

Loren, All the photos Rob posted show the same road-number on all four pieces, but he lists four different road-numbers for the set. :dry: So, my original question stands... Is the four piece set with four different road-numbers prototypical? :huh:

And... no... I'm not buying the SOUTHERN set. :S

More
14 years 3 months ago #7231 by Mr.JA
tealplanes wrote:

Alex,
Actually this idea of no singles has been in the works for some time now. You see, all of us dealers have decided to make it tougher for you guys to buy milk and eggs, simply by eliminating the singles and forcing you to either buy four packs, or go without......

Loren

While I can understand a dealer's point of view about this, in maybe trying to keep inventory to a minimum and to save in over-head costs... forcing buyers to decide between the cost of a four-pack or going without, especially in these economic times, might lead to more sales or might lead to less. I would think less sales. The option of having a single unit available would lead to more sales... as has been proven with folks buying four-packs AND singles to get the extra road-number.

Of course... this is all my own opinion... which, as far as anyone else is concerned... might be worthless. :blush:

More
14 years 3 months ago #7234 by garthah
Replied by garthah on topic Re:AZL January 2010 New Releases!
tealplanes wrote:

TechRep wrote:

Alex,

Loren

Sure makes the decision not to purchase allot easier if they are in 4 packs only. Might have handled a 2 pack but 4 is too much for me. There are very few cars that I would want 4 of on my layout it just is not big enough for huge quantities of cars and I want variety not allot of the same thing even if they are all unique road numbers. The lack of unique road numbers on a desirable car does not inhibit me but I prefer unique numbers.

that my pennies worth

Happy New Year All

cheerz Garth

cheerz Garth

More
14 years 3 months ago #7236 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:AZL January 2010 New Releases!
How about sharing a four pack with another person? Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:

More
14 years 3 months ago #7237 by BillMock
Replied by BillMock on topic Re:AZL January 2010 New Releases!
As much as I hate to cause a disruption in AZL's marketing plan, and I know that the AZL dealers are hoping to take advantage of the Runner Pack sales; what I can see happening here is a small portion of the Z Scale Community will be getting together and splitting these runner packs among a buyer group.
It's an interesting marketing question. How many of these groups will form? How many runner packs will be sold to these groups? Obviously, these groups are willing to absorb additional shipping costs for this method of obtaining individual cars.
Would AZL benefit better by just raising the price of the singles? And selling singles of all of the runner pack road numbers?
I wonder what will happen in 2010. I'm no business major, but I think these are interesting questions. We will have to wait and see.
Bill Mock

More
14 years 3 months ago #7239 by tealplanes
Bill,
I know (from a dealer's standpoint)that it is a hassle to break up packs and all, but maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I'm willing to do that. Breaking up a four pack means that you need to either just wrap the single car in foam or something else and send along, or send the car in a MTL plastic box with either a nest that will accommodate the AZL car or wrap it in tissue for cushioning.

I have done this in the past and just now am breaking up sets to send to two different guys. That way they each get a AZL box with two of two types of cars.

Anyway, here is the glutton for punishment standing by saying I'll continue to break up packs into any amount wanted, but do me a favor and find someone to take the remaining cars so I am not left standing with single cars that won't sell.

I do charge an extra dollar or two for the MTL box, nest, and extra labor.

My 12 cents worth on New Year's eve.

Everyone stay sober, warm, and safe tonight..........so stay in the shop working on your Z scale;)

Loren

More
14 years 3 months ago #7240 by tealplanes
And P.S............I do not purchase large amounts of MTL or AZL stock and hope to sell it eventually. I encourage my customer base to order very quickly so I can get my order into AZL before they sell out.

Kind of a hassle for the customer, and the dealer, but that is how I must run my business. I can't afford to keep stock on the shelves.

I've been running a great sale lately saving my customer base much money, and will soon revise my list and post it on Z yahoo and maybe here.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7245 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:AZL January 2010 New Releases!
For Crying Out Loud!!:huh:

Waaa

Waaaa

Waaaaa

:S

I can guarantee you that there are a multitude of folks who only want one, and when one is, and has NOT been available IN THE PAST, the desire to own one was made a reality in as short as 1-2 days when fellow Z scalers get together here on ZCS, then everyone is happy!!! Heck, Loren was the first person to break runner packs for people. (Thanks Loren!)

Why does most every time a New AZL announcement is made that accompanying it is usually something negative in nature!!!

By Golly Gee WiZ it's getting old!

I can tell you that in the most recent years of Z, a mass of forum members use to beg MTL to make runner packs but the word was "not feasable" or something like that. Was it fear of not selling many? Not sure. So when AZL came along with their runner packs and were selling vast amounts of them, oh my, MTL announces they will do runner packs TOO!!!!

Now that both companies are making American Z scale in runner packs I think it is Outstanding!! I commend both companies for this decision! Personally, I would think that both companies would eventually offer all runner packs in singles. I know Walthers has done this runner pack and NO SINGLES with their RD4 Hoppers and it drove me nuts that I had to spend about $130+ for a 4 pack when all I only wanted was ONE!!!

I share the pain of not having a single available, but with the closeness of fellow members of this forum, you will easily find people to split a set, or as Loren has posted, contact him for a single as he will break a set.

and Now Back to our Regular Broadcast Show!

Hobo Tim

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7246 by GWoodle
Replied by GWoodle on topic Re:AZL January 2010 New Releases!
Anyway, here is the glutton for punishment standing by saying I'll continue to break up packs into any amount wanted, but do me a favor and find someone to take the remaining cars so I am not left standing with single cars that won't sell.

If you look at the *bay listings, some guys already break up the Runner Packs or break up the Packaged Train Sets. Not sure what a Army GP35 sells for.

Other guys also break up the Full Throttle hopper sets if you want just one. It can be done.

Check out the MTL new items. The 25th anniversary Z scale set could be hot. Check out the MTL Factory! Check out the Packing Factory!

More
14 years 3 months ago #7247 by tealplanes
Quote.......Check out the MTL new items. The 25th anniversary Z scale set could be hot. Check out the MTL Factory! Check out the Packing Factory![/quote]

Yes, the set is accurate as to road names and MTL has done a fine job.

I've seen both the Robert Ray packing factory, (it is a real beauty for detail) and the real factory in MTL's past.
Been inside when Kadee was located downtown. Now they are split into Kadee and MTL.

The factory kit is accurate for looks so it is a real bit of history shrunk down to Z size.

Sets are selling well for me. Hope on board folks and order yours today.
Loren

More
14 years 3 months ago #7248 by tealplanes
HoboTim wrote:

So when AZL came along with their runner packs and were selling vast amounts of them, oh my, MTL announces they will do runner packs TOO!!!!

I share the pain of not having a single available, but with the closeness of fellow members of this forum, you will easily find people to split a set, or as Loren has posted, contact him for a single as he will break a set.
Hobo Tim

Tim,
Truth were to be made known, I know someone at MTL who was pushing for runner packs a long, long time ago, but certain poweres thought it not wise. Huh?

And yes, I will be glad to split up the packs for you guys. Just get together amongst yourselves and then send me a group order.

Hey, these things are going fast, so get on board. Help make me a millionaire so I can pay more taxes to the folks back East who really need all of our money :angry: :blink: :ohmy: :huh: :lol:

Loren

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7251 by Mr.JA
I'm not really sure where or when my original comments were misunderstood :huh: ... but, a few folks need to go back and re-read what I wrote. :dry:

Hey... it's great so many new items and road-names are being made available. B) But... if they are not close to being prototypical... then they are just "toys" and not worth the prices being asked. :blink:

And... no... I'm not a rivit-counter. :S

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7253 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re:AZL January 2010 New Releases!
TechRep wrote:

tealplanes wrote:

From the picture Rob posted, it appears to be one number in each panel. Loren

Loren, All the photos Rob posted show the same road-number on all four pieces, but he lists four different road-numbers for the set. :dry: So, my original question stands... Is the four piece set with four different road-numbers prototypical? :huh:

And... no... I'm not buying the SOUTHERN set. :S

The models in the photos are Photoshopped together. It's a photo of one model that's duplicated to look like several. Unfortunately this is misleading, but likely done because it was practical.

Real freight equipment would never be numbered like this. So, the four-packs with the different numbers are indeed prototypical.

Hope that helps.

TechRep wrote:

I'm not really sure where or when my original comments were misunderstood :huh: ... but, a few folks need to go back and re-read what I wrote. :dry:

Hey... it's great so many new items and road-names are being made available. B) But... if they are not close to being prototypical... then they are just "toys" and not worth the prices being asked. :blink:

And... no... I'm not a rivit-counter. :S

I've re-read your comments several times, and I have trouble following your points. They seem confusing and conflicting.

As it happens, these new AZL models are about as close as Z scale has come to being true-to-life, within the practical limitations of mass-production. If you feel that misplaced or incorrect road numbers render them "toys," then I have shocking news for you: everything in Z scale is probably a toy by your standards. Yes, every model has some discrepancy. Most of them are approximate renderings of the real thing. They will have grossly-oversized handrails; there will be many missing or misplaced details; some have roadnames that never appeared on that type of equipment, and so on. It's possible to come up with a long list of flaws for almost every model made.

So, you need to spell out exactly where you draw the line. Or, if we have all misunderstood you, then you'll need to re-word your point differently for us.

By the way, I'm considered fussier than most when it comes to modeling fidelity, but there isn't much that's made in Z scale that I would consider to be a "toy."

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7258 by Mr.JA
Okay... I will try to write in more simple terms, since my second set of comments about the SOUTHERN release were seperated from the first comment.

The are five road-numbers. Three of the five road-numbers have a space between the first two numbers and the second set of numbers. There is a full rib panel seperating the road-numbers. The other two road-numbers of the releases are together. My question is asking if the four-pack is prototypically correct... Do two of the road-numbers have the spacing and do two not have the spacing?

Yes... I am fully aware that everything released in Z is not prototypically correct. Hence, my comment and disclaimer that I am NOT a 'rivit-counter'. But, there is enough Z that is closer to prototypical than others.

The AZL tank cars are great! I really like them... except for that small, nagging quality control problem with some of the wheel sets. The PS2-cd hoppers are a long shot. Yes... we can throw in a disclaimer and excuse about "within the practical limitations of mass-production" for details about the ladders, but the chutes are not even close. The chutes and ladders on Uncle Will's Full Throttle releases are not like this. I consider Full Throttle to be mass produced versus FR items.

ALL of my comments are my opinion... just like everyone else that posts here or on any other open forum board. But, I'm still missing how my first two questions in the two original post after the AZL advertisment lead to a misunderstanding of what I wrote. I asked why there was no single release for the Cargill tank cars and I asked if the SOUTHERN set was going to be prototypical in numbering, based on what I explained in that post.

Oh... this is NOT an AZL versus MTL slam. I own plenty of both manufactures. But, I understand it is popular with a few certain folks that feel the need to slam one versus the other.

Thank you, very much.

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds