Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Monday, April 29, 2024

Buckeye trucks

More
14 years 3 months ago #7421 by TailUK
Buckeye trucks was created by TailUK
Does anyone know if 6 wheel Buckeye trucks are available in Z?

I included a pic of the one I mean.

File Attachment:

Failing this, does anyone have a dimensioned drawing of the truck or can tell me what the distance is between wheel centers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #7423 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:Buckeye trucks
TailUK wrote:

Does anyone know if 6 wheel Buckeye trucks are available in Z?

I included a pic of the one I mean.

Failing this, does anyone have a dimensioned drawing of the truck or can tell me what the distance is between wheel centers.

The 3 axle Buckeye Truck is not made by any manufacturer. MTL does make one in N scale, but too big!

I have some upcoming Z scale projects I am working on that actually require this actual truck. I have a photo of one that was etched and assembled. It shows MTL plastic brown wheel sets but is designed for AZL metal wheel. I will try FoxValley when I get a chance.

Will keep you posted!!!

Hobo Tim :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #7425 by saundebn
Replied by saundebn on topic Re:Buckeye trucks
Are the use of these sort of trucks on tight radii prohibited?

More
14 years 3 months ago #7427 by TailUK
Replied by TailUK on topic Re:Buckeye trucks
Looks good Tim, did you etch these? If so, its nice work.
I would probably go with resin castings myself but thats because its what I know how to do.
The full size trucks may well have been restricted to large radii I dont know enough about them to say for sure. I should imagine that in Z the wheel profile would allow them to negoiate the 220mm and 195mm radii curves.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7429 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:Buckeye trucks
I chose etched brass as it was easier to create the artwork for the initial truck than trying diligently to make a perfectly square truck from styrene. If I had use of a CNC mill with micro cutters I would attempt to mill one and use it for resin casting. I do alot of resin casting and would prefer to make these in resin. Matter of fact, these brass trucks have three layers of .012" brass to give it a beautiful 3D image of the truck. With a micro file the sides can be smoothly rounded to more resemble the edge of the Buckeye truck then be used as a mold master to cast them in your choice of resin.

If you are interested, please let me know. I have an order of etched brass coming soon that has several of these trucks on it for my projects. I can afford to ship you 2 of them. They are easily bent into shape and soldering it recommended for stability. You can beef up the truck with styrene if needed.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7436 by TailUK
Replied by TailUK on topic Re:Buckeye trucks
HoboTim wrote:

If you are interested, please let me know. I have an order of etched brass coming soon that has several of these trucks on it for my projects. I can afford to ship you 2 of them. They are easily bent into shape and soldering it recommended for stability. You can beef up the truck with styrene if needed.

That's very kind, Tim, thanks. I won't deprive you of them, as the job I had them in mind for is pretty well down the job list. I probably won't get to it for several months yet.
I was thinking about DODX flat cars, but the Boeing flat cars, resin cast Box cars and ex GN wood chip cars are all higher on the list.

Thanks again

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds