Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Sunday, April 28, 2024

Grand Z-Funk Railroad

More
12 years 1 day ago - 11 years 11 months ago #13587 by TerryH
Grand Z-Funk Railroad was created by TerryH
Well this is it folks, The Grand Z-Funk Railroad. I just love the name, so many memories :) I will try to post pictures as it comes to life.

XTrackCAD Parts List

Grand Z-Funk Railroad

Thu Apr 26 19:46:52 2012

Count | Description
+
260 | Märklin 8500 Straight 110mm
42 | Märklin 8503 Straight 55mm
18 | Märklin 8504 Straight 25mm
1 | Märklin 8506 Straight 108.6mm
2 | Märklin 8507 Straight 112.8mm
6 | Märklin 8510 Curved 145mm 45°
28 | Märklin 8520 Curved 195mm 45°
8 | Märklin 8521 Curved 195mm 30°
16 | Märklin 8530 Curved 220mm 45°
4 | Märklin 8531 Curved 220mm 30°
14 | Märklin 8562 Left Remote Turnout
24 | Märklin 8563 Right Remote Turnout
1 | Märklin 8565 Left Manual Turnout
2 | Märklin 8568 Curved Left Turnout
2 | Märklin 8569 Curved Right Turnout
10 | Märklin 8587 Uncoupler Track
20 | Märklin 8591 Curve 490mm 13°
1 | Märklin 8599 Turntable
+
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 day ago #13588 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re: Grand Funk Railroad
WOW

More
12 years 1 day ago #13589 by jrb
Replied by jrb on topic Re: Grand Funk Railroad
Cool!

What's the overall dimensions?

More
12 years 1 day ago #13590 by TerryH
Replied by TerryH on topic Re: Grand Funk Railroad
Overall dimensions are 4' x 8'.

More
12 years 1 day ago #13591 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: Grand Funk Railroad
Terry- can you get a 2'x8' up the stairs?? If so - cut it lengthwise- maybe 2'x4'- lots of connecting tracks!! :woohoo: Best advice--move the computer room- full access out!! :evil:

More
12 years 1 day ago #13592 by TerryH
I wish it was that simple, Unfortunately with the stairwell ledge and turns it is not possible to move a 2' x 8' section, I am forced to 2' x 4' sections. I have one other option and that is to go back to my original layout in my office. She is not happy about that either because she wants the room for a bedroom. I'll scratch my head a bit longer and see if I get any new sparks.

More
12 years 16 hours ago - 12 years 16 hours ago #13594 by TerryH
Due to the location of the interchange switches, I am unable to section the layout into 4-2'x4' sections. After consideration I decided to section it into 5 sections, to avoid the switches and bridges.

If anyone has a better solution, please let me know. Thank you.
Attachments:

More
12 years 4 hours ago - 12 years 4 hours ago #13595 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: Grand Funk Railroad
Terry- I'm going to stick my foot in it-- :whistle: but--- I would TRY to move layout out of restricting stairway- maybe to spare bedroom on main deck. Rig a rope and pulley system so if the room is ever needed-you can raise it to the ceiling. Use eye bolts to stringers- attatch small sheaves and rig it so it levetates level. It won't take that much space- specially if the mountain tops are removeable. Also added feature-you would not have to build it in sections. Of coarse the legs would be removable.
I did this with my yacht (canoe) in the garage.
Having lost a similar battle and desireous of retaining all my body parts, I immedeatly went to plan B.... I went to the cellar :woohoo: I know with your art background and knowledge of lectricity that you can make this happen. Just trying to ease the frustration factor a little. Start simple- get the basic main line running and play trains!! then add on-- often what we plan will not look anything like the finished layout. I started out with grande ideas and still haven't figured out what I am doing- but having fun in my fog. With the 5 sections- the tracks are "broken" at random lengths. Delicate not to damage when mooving, and how would that effect topography.
I'm just thinking- which can be dangerous. :S
PS- Tread Lightly

More
12 years 3 hours ago #13596 by TerryH
Hi Fred. The funny thing is I have already discussed this approach with her and received an immediate NO! I was thinking of an axle and 4 ropes which cranked around the axle to raise and lower from the ceiling. I definitely will play as I build, just as soon as the first track is laid down. I am not frustrated, I have resolved myself to doing the five sections and have ordered the flange pins to align the sections, especially following a move. As far as the topography, I think I can handle the straight lines by using various elevations and trees. Thank again for your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #13747 by TerryH

This is the center section of the layout, one of 5 sections. Note that interchanges are not shown, neither are the rail c\gaps for the yard and sidings. This section is 2' x 4' in size. I have started laying out this section and will post pics soon.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds