Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Hiding Marklin turnout boxes

More
14 years 8 months ago #5737 by ztrack
Hiding Marklin turnout boxes was created by ztrack
The other week, I posted updated photos of my home layout. Don requested more information and a close-up photo showing how I hide the black boxes on Marklin turnouts. Here is an image of the turnout in the quarry.

First, I use Celluclay to build the terrain up around the turnout to make it flush with area around it. I use a matching paint color to blend the turnout into the surrounding landscape. Then I use a little dirt, ballast, stone and landscape materials to further blend the turnout into the scene. You will notice the switch mechanism is still visible. The turnout is fully functioning. I also paint the rails rust brown. This really goes a long way to minimizing the track profile.

From a foot away, you don't even notice the turnout box.

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #5738 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
Rob,

Thanks for sharing this information.
Have you ever had any trouble with this fouling the electrics in the box?

And, if you don't mind me asking... Can you provide details of how you paint your rails?
Everyone has different ways of doing this. I'm trying to figure out which is the simplest way of doing this... well, simplest for me.

Thank you,

Alex

Tokyo, Japan

No... I don't know how to spell.

More
14 years 8 months ago #5740 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
Rob, awesome, I have done similar but not as well. Likewise looking for more info about painting the rails.

More
14 years 8 months ago #5742 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
Yes, when I first started out, I did foul a turnout or two. I am now much more controlled. I mostly use paint (artistic acrylic) to blend the turnout into the surroundings. I also brush on the glue to keep it from spreading. This way I can keep clear of vital areas on the turnouts. I am very controlled when I apply the materials such as dirt and flocking. After I apply the materials, I work the turnout a few time to make sure it moves properly. After every thing dries, I vacuum the area and operate the turnout again.

As for the rails, I do it the old, time intensive, way. with a small brush. I paint the sides of the rails. I only paint what is visible to those viewing the layout. This saves some time. Sometimes, a second coat of paint is required for a even finish. I let the paint dry overnight then I use a track erasure to clean the top of the rails to a shine. The methods works well, but take some time. But it is relaxing. ;)

I posted this photo earlier this month. You can tell the rails have been painted. They don't stand out at all. I think this looks much better. There is too much shine off of the rail otherwise that can be distracting. I found I notice the trains more once the rails are weathered. I highly recommend it.

Rob

More
14 years 8 months ago #5746 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
this is very very nice work:cheer:

More
14 years 8 months ago #5751 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
Excellent Rob! Thanks for sharing your techniques :)

More
14 years 8 months ago #5752 by tealplanes
Replied by tealplanes on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
For those of you who have never seen Rob's layout, and I'd guess that is most of you,
I saw his layout back in 2005 and it has as they say on TV........"come a long way baby"

Rob's layout is a fine example of excellent modeling and if you ever get the chance to go to Ohio, be sure to look up Rob and ask for a tour first hand. Just be careful going down his basement stairs. We don't need no stinkin broken legs or arms........:laugh:

Oh and I think Jenny is partial to surprise visits accompanied with cookies or pies.....

Loren

More
14 years 8 months ago #5753 by TerryH
Replied by TerryH on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
Nice tip Rob. I read an article awhile back where someone had built structures on top of the switch boxes. I guess a little imagination goes a long way.

More
14 years 8 months ago #5754 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
I've usde track side buildings- shanties- and even an overgrown wheeless caboose to cover the marklin switch box.
Fred
Attachments:

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #5755 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
another shot-- this is a bash and crash combo of a brass RR car and the roof is the bottom of a Penzee heavyweight.. it works on My railroad.
Fred
Attachments:

More
14 years 8 months ago #5756 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Hiding Marklin turnout boxes
Fred, Good idea. This would work on my railroad as well. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds