Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 25, 2024

Z scale Ballast Regulator mow

More
9 years 7 months ago #17481 by southernnscale
Z scale Ballast Regulator mow was created by southernnscale
Showcase Miniature new item z Scale Ballast Regulator MOW 10 metal parts Photo Etch. MTL wheels
www.showcaseminiatures.net/z-scale.html
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ztrack, Mr.JA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #17482 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Z scale Ballast Regulator mow
This is a must for me! I love Show Case Miniatures vehicles. But this looks like they raised the bar!

Rob

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #17493 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic Z scale Ballast Regulator mow
I just got one and working on it! Here is a shot of the parts nice model!

The models was really clean and detailed for Z
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pig Gap

More
9 years 7 months ago #17494 by Pig Gap
Replied by Pig Gap on topic Z scale Ballast Regulator mow
Please post more pictures as you assemble this. Do you prime before painting?

More
9 years 7 months ago #17501 by ztrack
I received my kit Monday and have already dived in. After a bout of bad CA glue, I was able to actually assemble parts of the kit last night. I am trying out the Velljo paints they recommend. I am using the primer. I am putting on a thin coat. It seams to be working okay. I put on a little top coat in the cab area last night and it went on nice and smooth with the primer under it. I will post photos when I am done.

By the way, the detail is amazing!

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr.JA, Pig Gap

More
9 years 7 months ago #17503 by ztrack
Walt how is your build coming? I wasn't able to work on it last night, but was back on it tonight. I had a bit of difficulty securing the two side wings. The surface area is not so great to attach these to the body. I created a support/platform that I glued under the chassis to help support these two pieces. This did the trick. I used a bit of thin styrene, but would recommend a little brass or stainless steel strip left over from the etched sprue.

At this point, the body is primed. I still need to add the this edge pieces and the secure the axles. I plan to secure the axles after the body is painted.

Rob

More
9 years 7 months ago #17504 by southernnscale
Rob,
Haven't had time cleaned them up and ready for primer. I notice that the two wings did fit kinda funny I was going to trim them up a bit to fit better had to get some primer. the primer I wanted is on back order. So I may have to use another type. I've been busy with some Shapeways models I just got and was cleaning them up making a run for the primer later today and some other things I need.

More
9 years 7 months ago #17507 by ztrack
I just finished mine. What a great kit! The level of detail is amazing. I went with a well used look. Faded paint and grime. Dark washes really pop the detail. I really recommend this kit. I hope they do more!

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale

More
9 years 7 months ago #17508 by Minuteman
Replied by Minuteman on topic Z scale Ballast Regulator mow
What I'd like to know is how many inches of ballast spreading it does per hour :huh:

Seriously - thanks for all the info. Looks like a nice wayside eye catcher - is this kit safe for beginners (i.e. folks with only limited kit building experience) or does it require at least intermediate skills ?

Thanks
Adrian

More
9 years 7 months ago #17509 by ztrack
Adrian I am going to say intermediate. It can be a bit tricky. Mostly on the positioning. There are not too many parts, but the surface area to adhere them to each other is quite small. It can be a bit difficult to align properly. I had to rework one end of the piece a few times before I got it right. But the kit is very clean. So you don't have to worry about flash or filing the parts. They really do go together well. If you are a beginner, I would try this one out. Just take your time and don't rush the build. Use a good super strong gel CA glue and give plenty of time for the parts to setup.

Tip, paint the cab interior before assembling the cab sides.

Rob

More
9 years 7 months ago #17510 by Minuteman
Replied by Minuteman on topic Z scale Ballast Regulator mow
Thanks Rob - that sounds doable, I'll give it a try and just keep it nice and slow ;)

Strikes me that this is another point worthy of praise - very often kits in larger scales that look as good as this one are tremendously complicated, so this really sounds like a winner on all levels.

I'll let you folks know how I'm getting along - I'd say maybe Christmas, though I'm not saying which year :unsure:

Adrian

More
9 years 7 months ago #17511 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Z scale Ballast Regulator mow
Well done on these projects fellows. Would this move with the Searails little wheel set and motor? Jim

More
9 years 7 months ago #17512 by ztrack
Jim sorry no. The Searails chassis is massive compared to this little guy. Powering it would be a bit of a challenge since it is a solid cast piece.

Rob

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #17514 by southernnscale
Rob,
you did a great job I still haven't put mine together yet and the details really look good on your model. Now! you need to add some ballast and set the action as if it is doing it job with the ballast!! Ha! Ha! Nice Photo's of your completed model. I think you should send a photo to Walt at Showcaseminiatures so he can see the good work you did for the model.

More
9 years 7 months ago #17516 by ztrack
Thanks Walt! I just sent the photos to Walter and Joe this morning. I really hope they do more of these type of MOW vehicles.

Rob

More
9 years 7 months ago #17517 by eit27
Replied by eit27 on topic Z scale Ballast Regulator mow
Here is what I have been able to get done so far. Weathering to follow, needs it badly.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernnscale, Mr.JA

More
9 years 7 months ago #17518 by ztrack
Ed love the CSX decals! It is looking great!! Are those metal wheels? Be careful as those can cause a short if you place it on powered rails.

Rob

More
9 years 7 months ago #17519 by southernnscale
Ed,
Another one nicely done! Like Rob said the decals really make it look even better. The CSX is outstanding just don't let moo see it or he will drive it home! great job also even if it's not weather yet! Just got to get a driver in there. outstanding work! great to see your Photo's.

More
9 years 7 months ago #17521 by eit27
Replied by eit27 on topic Z scale Ballast Regulator mow
Rob, They are metal wheels, I thought they would look better. I isolated them when kapton tape to eliminate any possibility of shorts.

I will have to work on getting a driver in on the next build. I have already installed windows on this one.

More
9 years 7 months ago #17524 by ztrack
Good call on isolating the metal wheels. I agree, they do look much better. I also love the windows. I was really on the fence about adding them. But these look great. What did you used?

Rob

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds