Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Sunday, April 28, 2024

Replacing couplers on Marklin steamers...

More
14 years 5 months ago #6627 by silentargus
Replacing couplers on Marklin steamers... was created by silentargus
I've recently picked my favorite hobby back up, since I'm no longer living in dorms and actually have some workshop space again. Among other minor projects leading up to the 'real' project, I've got two Marklin steam locos- a Mikado and a Pacific (and within a week or so another Pacific, since there was a set on Reynaulds for a rather reasonable price)- that need to be converted to use knuckle couplers. I've read this article, but I'm still not sure exactly how to best approach the problem.

Aside from the aptly-described exercise in masochism that is installing the kit-form MTL couplers, I don't know if the existing coupler pocket is really the best location. I haven't taken any exact measurements, but it appears that the stock Marklin hook rides lower that the MTL knuckles do, and I'm afraid that if I simply replace the coupler it'll either hang up on turnouts or fail to stay coupled due to misalignment. Would it be better to mount the coupler on the body of the tender as opposed to in the truck-mounted box? I'm honestly hoping the answer will be a body mount, because I am not looking forward to dealing with those little springs again, but which way should I go here?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #6631 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Replacing couplers on Marklin steamers...
Daniel, First welcome to ZCS. You do have a project in front of you. I would suggest visiting this website: www.zscalemonster.com/ About halfway down you will come to Bowser Buckler Couplers. I think you should consider this coupler for the job. These couplers don't have the MTL uncoupling wire hanging down but are more convinient for your endeavors. You won't be uncoupling these on your layout anyway probably. The Bowsers look nice and stay coupled and are compatible with all other couplers. You will probably have to buy the truck as well, but you can cut off the coupler and have some nice steel wheels for converting your rolling stock over from plastic wheels. Also, you may want to check out the new couplers from AZL. Same principles with no wire hanging down. One of the problems with the MTL uncoupling wire hanging down is that they have a tendency to catch on things like grade crossings, guard rails on bridges etc. Just a suggestion. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
14 years 5 months ago #6633 by ULie
Hello Daniel,

also a welcome to ZCS from Germany. I would recommend an additionel website about couplers. David A. Karp has collected on his website about everything what is worth collecting for the issue.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 5 months ago #6635 by silentargus
Replied by silentargus on topic Re:Replacing couplers on Marklin steamers...
I hadn't really thought of using another brand of couplers- I have a bunch of MTL knuckles on hand that I bought a few years ago (when they were still pretty much the only thing out there besides fishhooks) and figured I'd be using those- but you're right; I really don't foresee doing a lot of uncoupling with these and if there's an easier way... I'll have to order a pair or two of Bowser Bucklers and see how they work out. I do have a Penzee hopper with a problem child truck that could use new wheels, too.

I wonder, though, if it wouldn't be best to try and find a separate tender to use as a guinea pig before I go and fiddle around with the models I have. I'll have to keep an eye out when I hit the Greenberg show at the end of the month.

Thanks for the tip. :)

More
14 years 5 months ago #6637 by craZ13

More
14 years 5 months ago #6641 by silentargus
Replied by silentargus on topic Re:Replacing couplers on Marklin steamers...
Cool- it's great to get back into it and see such a variety of different options popping up! :cheer:

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #6663 by ZFRANK
If you stick to the Märklin trucks (if the coupling is truck mounted, or even when body mounted) , you can fairly easy replace the Märklin fish hook for MTL 901 or 902 couplers. I have converted my entire European Märklin stock to these couplers. No problem. Couplers which were attached with one rivit, I opened the rivit with small pliers, exchanged the coupling and spring andused a soldering iron to to close the rivit again. Couplers which are locked up by a small metal plate: I just cut off the 3 rivits, replace the coupler and spring and use super glue (ca) to glue it back. It worked fine for me.

/Frank

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds