Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 04, 2024

Looking for repair help!

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #12633 by coyote
Looking for repair help! was created by coyote
Hi,
I am new to Z scale. I am looking for help in repairing an AJIN Precision Manufactured AZL GS4 #4449 SP Daylight Locomotive and Tender that was damaged in shipping. See attached photo. I believe all the parts are still there. (front "bogie" assembly is detached and in pieces, cover to smoke box is detached, front tender truck is detached) If anyone has experience with repair or knows of someone that deals in expert repair I would be very interested in the information. This particular loco is part of a collection and I am interested in getting it restored to running condition.
Thanks,
Rick

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #12635 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: Looking for repair help!
Rick, I'm assuming this is not a new, purchased by you item? While there are some folks that work on AZL locos perhaps you should contact Rob at Ztrack Magazine. Google that for contact info. Good luck, Jim :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: coyote

More
12 years 4 months ago #12637 by mchwilton
Replied by mchwilton on topic Re: Looking for repair help!
Hi Rick,

Welcome to Z. Jim was refering to Rob Kluz This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. distributor of AZL. Good luck with that sugestion. It would be helpful if you posted a photo of the loco with all the packageing removed and placed on a white background with all the parts layed out. Make sure you have all the parts including screws to reattach the trucks and pull bar. Refer to this link: www.ztrack.com/AZL/amerzlines_GS3_4.html
If you scroll down on the page there is a short movie and close up of the siderods to make sure you have everything. These are usually good runners, but obviously not how it was shipped from whom ever. It might be a suprizingly easy fix as long as you have all the parts, AZL doesn't "usually" have spare parts, especially for thier brass models. If you happen to live in the metro NYC area I'd be happy to help at no charge at one of our monthly Tri State Z Scalers meets. We meet in Wilton, CT the first Saturday of the month unless it's a holiday weekend. You might also contact Glen & Sandy Stiska who work on AZL and just about everything else in Largo, FL. Not sure if this is thier latest e-mail address, but last I knew it was This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I wish you luck and hopefully someone else will have more info. for you.

Michael

More
12 years 4 months ago #12638 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re: Looking for repair help!
Rick,

Welcome to Z Central Station. Wow, that is one of the saddest sights I have seen. First, let me ask you, did the sending insure the package? If he did, document the condition and make a claim with the shipping company. I can assist you on providing the documented value of the locomotive.

If it was not insure, I would push back to the seller. This does not appear to have been sent in the original packaging. It should have come wrapped in a foam and plastic sheets, then placed in a plastic create with foam surrounding it. It definitely appears it was not protected when shipped.

After that, I will need to talk to AZL to see if we have any options to restore it. Ajin who manufactured the locomotive is no longer in business (the brass division). Fro this reason, it is not possible to obtain parts. Frankly, I am concerned the cost to restore may be as much as a new locomotive. I see lots of damage, including the missing front pilots, rear trucks that are off the tender, possible bent drive rods, etc. I am also very concerned about the wiring between the tender and the locomotive.

If the shell is in good shape, you may be better off buying another GS4 just for the chassis. Just a thought.

You can contact me via my email; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I am so sorry to see this locomotive in such a shape.

Rob Kluz

More
12 years 4 months ago #12639 by coyote
Replied by coyote on topic Re: Looking for repair help!
Wow, I was told this was a great group and full of good information!!!
First, Thanks to John (for fixing and posting my photo), Jim, Michael, and Rob for quick replays and information. Please be patient with me will I learn to navigate this forum site. I spend much time on another site dealing with a completely different area of my life (motorcycle) and it navigates much different so I will need time getting use to this site. I wrote a rather lengthly "quick reply" to Jim's post and I see it did not show up publicly. I will try and make this one more to the point!
Jim- your assumption is correct. The locomotive was purchased a number of years ago as part of a "set" to complete a my collection of #4449 locomotives in the modeling scales of G, O, HO, N and Z. My wife and I are very fond of the SP #4449 in daylight colors. Earlier this year the locomotive was dropped from it's display while being cleaned and incurred minor damage to the draw bar and wiring between the loco and tender. In July my wife contacted the company from which the loco was originally purchased inquiring if it could be repaired back to running condition. From her description on the phone they felt quite confident it could be and advised it would be worth sending it in for evaluation. She took the loco & tender to our local UPS store and had it insured and professionally prepared for shipment. After a number of months of unanswered phone calls and emails we eventually made phone contact two weeks ago and were informed that the loco & tender had been restored to running condition. We paid the very reasonable amount requested for the repair and implored them to pack and insure it well. We received the package last Friday, Dec. 23 and much to our dismay the damage was discovered inside the box. Photos were taken and email sent to repair company indicating the damage. Due to the holiday we did not receive a response until Monday. At this point I am not happy with their response but remain hopeful that once we have determined all our options we can come to an amicable resolution with the company. I am crazy busy at work right now so things are taking extra time. I have determined just tonight that it was insured with the shipping company, but for far less than what I think replacement cost. The box, packing, and contains are currently being held at our UPS store, it has been their evaluation that it was inadequately packed (I agree). I needed this evaluation preformed before I completely removed the contents from the box. Tomorrow my next step will be to remove the contents and make a complete inventory of the parts as Michael suggests. WOW Michael what an awesome offer!! I would take you up on it in an instant except... I am about as far on the west coast as you can get without getting wet! We live just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean. Rob I will most appreciate your documented value should I follow up with the shipping company claim. I am currently working with another dealer with who I have had very successful dealings to keep an eye out for another #4449. (It was their suggestion I join and post here) I have already ordered an unskirted GS4 from him. My hope at this point is to have them both running, but that does leave me with an option to have the "shells" swapped. I may also settle for another cab number in the GS4 daylight if one were available. I am optimistic at this point that an acceptable resolution will be worked out in the near future. Again thanks to all for the information and I will keep progress posted here.
Thanks,
Rick

More
12 years 4 months ago #12643 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: Looking for repair help!
Rick, You're welcome. Most of us are willing to help out the best we can here. Good luck. Jim

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds