Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Thursday, April 25, 2024

The Farm

More
11 years 8 months ago #14029 by jedforceone
The Farm was created by jedforceone
Working on the planning of my first Z scale layout. Mostly I have spent my time with HO but loved the idea of space saving 1:220 (I have very limited space). Typically I loved HO and I loved to make photo realistic or attempt at making photo realistic scenery. Recently I’ve been planning my Z scale layout and I’m having trouble finding a material to make my corn and wheat fields out of. Anyone have any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #14030 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re: The Farm
Welcome to Z scale! You will find it is quite the departure from HO.

Micron-Art offers cornfields for Z scale. You can find them at:

www.micronart.com/ZSCALE_Accessories.html

You may want to look at tan static grass to represent wheat. I have also seen fabric squares to represent fields. You may be able to find one that matches tall grasses.

Please share photos as you progress. We would love to see your work.

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: jedforceone

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #14031 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: The Farm
Jed- You mentioned limited space. Below I'll post a very nice farm, made by Danbury Mint, that comes up on flebay now and then. I know 3 Z scalers that have faired the resin cast farm into thier modules. The barns and buildings scale out well for Z compared to the marklin barn. If interested- email me- and I'll send additional pics and info.
Fred

There are a lot of details with farm equipment - aminals - etc
By the way---Karin at Stone Bridge Models makes a very nice Barn Kit.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jedforceone

More
11 years 8 months ago #14032 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re: The Farm
Here is a photo of the afore mentioned MicronArts corn. Jim

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred, jedforceone

More
11 years 8 months ago #14036 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Re: The Farm
Fred, what is the Title of that diorama. Would make a nice gift to the GF for the BYOZ table.

Jeff M

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #14041 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re: The Farm
Jeff, The farm scene is called "Harvest Time" by Bob Russel- by Danbury Mint. Footprint- 7" x 11".
There is also a pretty 4 piece set called "Fisherman's Cove" that is very close to Z. ( I think Karin might have a set for sale). Stony took a lot of pics at "NTS 2011Z" that shows how Mr Dave fared them into modules.
Fred

More
11 years 8 months ago #14043 by jedforceone
Replied by jedforceone on topic Re: The Farm
Too all who posted thank you very much. As soon as construction begins I will start keeping updates on this page via a seperate blog. I'm still very much planning, as I've learned from past adventures its best to plan well, or regret later. Probably going to blend some of those brass corn pieces from micro art as well as the wheat techniques from those diaramas. Will be a doubly learning curve since I've honestly never painted brass before. This should be interesting to say the least!

More
11 years 6 months ago #14353 by southernnscale
Replied by southernnscale on topic Re: The Farm

Nice pic of the farm! I have a farm on my layout but no corn or fields. I have cattle,Sheep,Horses and pigs. Barn which I built from a picture in Model Railroading that was in HO. The house was the house I use to live in.
Attachments:

More
11 years 6 months ago #14366 by Fort Kent Dad
Replied by Fort Kent Dad on topic Re: The Farm

I'm also new to Zed and will be including a farm on the layout I'm planning. It is my dear wife who wants a Zed Scale Coffee Table Layout - a "rustic one" and she specified a barn with silo. I've ordered GCLaser's #5304 Ellis Barn & Silo, a N Scale Architect 30005 Farm House Kit and Stonebridge Models Open Shed for my farm set up. There are a few barns available and you can buy silos separately too.

To round out the rustic look I added an Old Mill from Stonebridge Models as well as their covered bridge.

As for corn crops - that will be a challenge in Zed. I've ordered some cows and horses and will just have grazing pastures for fields. At the Edmonton Train Show I did see lots of scenic stuff from Noch - maybe they have something that would work? Maybe long static grass? You have picked a real challenging one there.

Do you have a track plan in mind? I've been playing around with AnyRail CAD program and have posted several plans - still not found the one that I want yet, but designing trackplans is all part of the fun.

More
11 years 6 months ago #14368 by rvn2001
Replied by rvn2001 on topic Re: The Farm
Micron Art sells brass rows of corn

www.micronart.com/Z1008_CORNFIELD.html

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds