More
15 years 1 week ago #4022 by Ztrains
Hi,

We have a new Z Scale Basics article now online at:

www.ztrains.com/basics/plans/harbor/harbor.html

Stop by and have a read!

John
www.ztrains.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #4036 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Ztrains.com: New "Z Scale Basics" Article
John, This is mandantory reading for a 'new' modelers using Micro Track. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 1 week ago #4045 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:Ztrains.com: New "Z Scale Basics" Article
Im glad I read it. This helps with some of the planning for my layout.

Zac

More
15 years 1 week ago #4047 by Ztrains
Replied by Ztrains on topic Re:Ztrains.com: New "Z Scale Basics" Article
Hi Guys,

I'm glad we could be of help and hope to do more in the upcoming articles. Thanks too to MTL for sponsoring Z Scale Basics ... they've been great!

If there are suggestions for new articles, please feel free to contact either Micro-Trains or Ztrains through our websites.

Feedback is good!

John
www.ztrains.com

More
15 years 1 week ago #4049 by Mr. White
What software are you using to do the mtl layouts. It would be really handy to have that since I would like to use all MTL track. MTL is readily available where I live in all its forms.

Zac

More
15 years 1 week ago - 15 years 1 week ago #4052 by Ztrains
Replied by Ztrains on topic Re:Ztrains.com: New "Z Scale Basics" Article
I use RRTrack for the basic track plans. I bought this several years ago and while it has it limits (what doesn't?), I find it useful as it has a Marklin sectional track library. For the graphics I use Adobe Illustrator. I find illustration programs a bit more intuitive.

John
www.ztrains.com

More
15 years 3 days ago #4237 by wvonkessler
Replied by wvonkessler on topic Re:Ztrains.com: New "Z Scale Basics" Article
This may be a dumb question, but I see on your trackplan that you have two turnouts connecting parallel tracks. Do you have to modify the ballasted MTL turnouts in order to be able to do this? It is unclear from the MTL literature that I have seen, and their track plan book shows parallel tracks that are connected using the curved piece of track that connects to the turnout, thus placing two pieces of curved track between the two turnouts, instead of the two turnouts connected to each other on the diverging tracks.

Sorry about the awkward explanation and I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4494 by GWoodle
Replied by GWoodle on topic Re:Ztrains.com: New "Z Scale Basics" Article
Not a dumb question. The MTL instructions may assume you want to use all the track items in the turnout set. They give you a LH or RH turnout, a 13deg curve track, + a modified straight track.

The curves of the tunouts can be put together, making a crossover with 2 turnouts. The modified straight sections will be required for the straight section.

The main point of the Harbor switching layout is to modify curved track to a profile similar to the straight track to get it to fit. This is because of the added width of the plastic roadbed material. Marklin sectional track lacks this feature.

From the mainline, you can have as many LH or RH turnouts as you want, making a "tree".
If you want branches off the tree, you may have to modify the turnout some to get it to fit. If you want to use the turnout to lead into a 90degree curve, you will have to learn to cut a piece of track. You could use the turnout to lead into a 64 degree sharper curve with the 13degree left for the other end. It would be better to cut down the 45degree curve into 2 32degree segments. Some modelers may want to cut a piece of flextrak to make the curve.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4503 by Mr. White
I can't wait to see the tutorial on track cutting and how to join it.

zac

More
14 years 11 months ago #4509 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Ztrains.com: New "Z Scale Basics" Article
Zac, If you are talking about MTL Micro Track you are not doing your research. Go to 'Gallery', click it. Click 'All Catagories', click on 'General Z', scroll down til you find Socalz44 misc. Click. Then go to page 3/4 and see how one goes about shortening Micro Track. Cheers, Jim CCRR:ohmy:

More
14 years 11 months ago #4510 by Mr. White
I saw that the other day, but they were teasing it on the next ztrack layout. I was just curious to see what they were going to do with it in their layout.:)

Zac

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds