Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Monday, April 29, 2024

MTL track feeder

More
15 years 5 days ago #4176 by Mr. White
MTL track feeder was created by Mr. White
Does anyone know if the two "eyelets" on the MTL feeder track can be used as vias? Also if I use them as vias can I break the tabs of of the top of the feeder?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 days ago - 15 years 5 days ago #4187 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:MTL track feeder
Zac, I'm thinking that nobody knows the word vias. I don't. If you mean can you eliminate the eyeholes from the track and wire what's left behind (vias?) I don't see why not it is all electrically connected. Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 5 days ago #4190 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:MTL track feeder
Zac after looking up "vias" I think Jim is correct, but I'm only an electronics amateur.

I'm curious as to what you have in mind, that might help answer your question better.

Jerry
B)

More
15 years 4 days ago #4199 by shamoo737
Replied by shamoo737 on topic Re:MTL track feeder
Zac, you can eliminate the feeder track altogether. Just solder the feeder wires to the rail joiners.

More
15 years 4 days ago #4206 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:MTL track feeder
Is there a reason why it's better to solder the wires to the joiners than the rails?

More
15 years 4 days ago - 15 years 4 days ago #4207 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:MTL track feeder
ausman2001 wrote:

Is there a reason why it's better to solder the wires to the joiners than the rails?

it is much easier to reach. To solder to the rail itself you have to create the space for it. At the joiners you just have to remove or modify the roadbed joiners.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 3 days ago #4230 by GWoodle
Replied by GWoodle on topic Re:MTL track feeder
ausman2001 wrote:

If you solder the wire directly to the track, you run the risk of melting the plastic and the little clip that holds the rail in place. Zscale may be less tolerant of any changes from the smooth rail.

The tabs on the MTL feeder track are meant to hold the wire connections in place. IMHO i'd rather have a screw post to tighten and wrap the wire around. Those type connectors make a more secure connection.

More
15 years 3 days ago - 15 years 3 days ago #4231 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:MTL track feeder
Also, you may want to visit the Photo Archives. Like I said before virtually every question has an answer already on ZCS.
zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=8&Itemid=87
Finds Socalz44, on the second Gallery page, click, and click on Misc. for answers.
Cheers, Jim CCRR:)

More
15 years 14 hours ago - 15 years 14 hours ago #4325 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:MTL track feeder
GWoodle wrote:

ausman2001 wrote:

If you solder the wire directly to the track, you run the risk of melting the plastic and the little clip that holds the rail in place. Zscale may be less tolerant of any changes from the smooth rail.

Although myself I also prefer to solder feeders on joiners, sometimes you have no choice and you defenitly have to solder a feeder directly on the rail (for example when you have to set an unsulating joiner - for turnouts - spurs where a loco is due to idle, etc).

In that case I select to remove a few ties close to the end, and set them back while the feeder is soldered in place.

On the above picture (thanks again to you guys who helped me to learn how to insert shots), if you look at the turnout that is parallel to the ATSF Dash9 on the neighbouring track (BTW I'll have to replace it when I receive a new sample as this turnout is messing me - short and derailment issue). As I had to isolate it from the straight track that is beyond it I had to solder the feeders directly on straight track's rails.

Dom
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds