Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Sunday, April 28, 2024

is 1:200 close enough

More
14 years 8 months ago #5576 by slugger
is 1:200 close enough was created by slugger
I am doing alot of scratchbuilding and im wondering what the experts think of using items that are 1:200 scale for z. case in point, Plastruct has ladders and other items in their catalog that is 1:200. will these work or do they need modifing to look right?

Thanks' Steve aka "slugger"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #5577 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
Steve I don't think anyone will point and start laughing. On the other hand here is a link that might interest you if you don't need too tall of ladders. I guess they could be glued together. Cheers, Jim CCRR:unsure:
www.micronart.com/91406.html

More
14 years 8 months ago #5578 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
Steve
As one who has done some scratch building-- but I am not a rivit counter.....
1:200 sure is OK in my book, but depends on items. I've seen 747's used- myself included. Depends on altitude and attitude.
Some very poular items such as cars scale out to about 1:200 by some manufactures.
Other things such as buildings are sold as Z 1:220 but vary greatly by producers.
Details such as ladders and windows could very well be used. Even some N :woohoo:, scale decales are used and things like freight loads can be BIG or oversize loads.
MTL, Marklin and to a less degree AZL, the MAJOR train makers must "compromize". If it looks good in your world, go for it!.
Fred:)

More
14 years 8 months ago #5580 by ausman2001
Replied by ausman2001 on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
I second what Fred says: if it looks "right" to you, then it is right. It might not look right to someone with a scale calculator and a micrometer, but would you really care?

More
14 years 8 months ago #5581 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
Fred wrote:

Steve
As one who has done some scratch building-- Fred:)

Fred I think you are being way to modest :laugh:

Jerry
B)

More
14 years 8 months ago #5583 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
I have several pieces of modern US Military tanks and vehicles that are all made 1:200 and they are way, WAY too big for Z scale. I am having to reduce the sizes to 1:220 for a more accurate appearance! Soon!!!

In some instances, 1:200 might not catch anyones eye, but these military vehicles would. Just got to play with it!!!

Hobo Tim :)

More
14 years 8 months ago #5587 by slugger
Replied by slugger on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
:) Thank You all for your advice. I value imput from other more experienced modelers. I should have remembered what my mother always said."do whats right for you and who cares what other think"
I have projects that i'm working on that i was going to add some photo's of but my camera died on me so i need to have it fixed. I will send some pictures as soon as i can.
Thanks again
Steve aka "Slugger" B)

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #5602 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
Myself I've a few 1:200 scale aircraft model kits (Hasegawa, Italeri, etc) and in my opinion, unless you directly put them on your rails it doesn't matter. What should eventually be a problem would be putting a B 737 fuselage on a flat car such as the trains that actually run between Boeing's plants of Wichita and Seattle. But myself I want to try this anyway...

Otherwise you could put 1:200 scale aircraft on a Z scale scene using a sort of forced "counterperspective": aircraft in the foreground, and railroad behind.

Dom

More
14 years 8 months ago #5603 by andyjbj
Replied by andyjbj on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
Dom, je suis d'accord, I also have some of the Haseg. kits and can't wait to build them up for Z.
This transport car that you mention sounds extremely interesting, any photos???

More
14 years 8 months ago #5607 by slugger
Dom
You are right. It should look fine as long as you dont put it on the rails. It's funny that you mention scale airplanes. I recently aquired from ebay some 1:220 scale "transall" cargo planes for the french airforce. I plan on repainting them for the US Airforce or the Coast guard. If you are interested, they are made by Heller Humbrol and the model number is 80038. It's from the 1980's so they are hard to find. They look like a two engine C-130 but smaller. when i get my camera fixed i'll post a photo

Thank' Steve aka "Slugger"B)

More
14 years 8 months ago #5610 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
Hello Steve,
slugger wrote:

I recently aquired from ebay some 1:220 scale "transall" cargo planes for the french airforce. [...] They look like a two engine C-130 but smaller.

Are they looking like this ?

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 8 months ago #5611 by andyjbj
cool beyond belief!!!!

More
14 years 8 months ago #5612 by slugger
:) Yes thats the airplane but with decals for the French Air Force

Steve aka "Slugger"B)

More
14 years 8 months ago #5768 by dominique
slugger wrote:

Dom
You are right. It should look fine as long as you dont put it on the rails. It's funny that you mention scale airplanes. I recently aquired from ebay some 1:220 scale "transall" cargo planes for the french airforce. I plan on repainting them for the US Airforce or the Coast guard. If you are interested, they are made by Heller Humbrol and the model number is 80038. It's from the 1980's so they are hard to find. They look like a two engine C-130 but smaller. when i get my camera fixed i'll post a photo

Thank' Steve aka "Slugger"B)

Hi Slugger I remember this kit, but actually I guess it's 1:200. That airplane is very well set in my mind, I logged ~1700 hours on it as a military pilot between 1986 and 1994...;)

Dom

More
14 years 8 months ago #5769 by dominique
slugger wrote:
They look like a two engine C-130 but smaller.
[/quote]

Actually they're about the same size than a C130H (within 3 feet range for length as well as wingspan) but they're lighter (155000 lbs MTW for a C130 vs ~110000 for a Transall). But that's true, smaller than a C130H-30 or a L100-30.

But let's revert to Z scale.;)

Dom

More
14 years 8 months ago #5770 by dominique
andyjbj wrote:

This transport car that you mention sounds extremely interesting, any photos???

Here we are!;)

Dom
Attachments:

More
14 years 8 months ago #5771 by dominique
And this:

Dom
Attachments:

More
14 years 8 months ago #5772 by andyjbj
That is just so incredibly fantastic....

More
14 years 8 months ago #5773 by TailUK
Replied by TailUK on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
The Boeing trains have always interested me so I've been collecting pics of them for a while now. I've put 65 assorted pics in a zip file which you can download for free from here.

rapidshare.com/files/271717374/Boeing737Flatcar.zip
Attachments:

More
14 years 8 months ago #5776 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:is 1:200 close enough
Hello John,
TailUK wrote:

The Boeing trains have always interested me so I've been collecting pics of them...

I was very astonished when I first saw pictures of those trains. Mainly becaue I thought that it must be awfully expensive to transport half finished planes from one factory to another. Especially considering the way Airbus does this with bigger planes, and now even with special ships for the parts of the Airbus 380 between Hamburg and France. I never thought that Boeing does the same just with trains. Is there any place where I can find more about this part of the building process? Like which type and parts of planes (do they also transport halffinished 747s this way) and from where to where?

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds