Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Monday, April 29, 2024

Questions about power loss

More
14 years 5 months ago #6491 by gmccalli
Questions about power loss was created by gmccalli
Hello

I know very little about Z-Scale Trains. I have a Frankilin Mint Celebration of AmericaZ-Scale train layout made by Marklin. My problem is that the engine loses power at a couple of sections of the track. The Tracks are permanently attached together so I dont know if its a loss of power issue, it seems more like a a contact problem. I have been able to improve the situation by shimming the track a bit in some areas. Can anyone tell me if shimming is normal for this scale and what would normally be used to shim the tracks.

Once again, there doesn't seem to be ANY problem with the engine it just seems like the engine is losing contact with the rails momentarily in a couple of places especially where there is a left hand curve going directly into a right hand curve.

Also, the engine seems to lose traction going up a slightly pitched portion of the track, but very slight.

Is there something I should use to clean the track and is there anything I can do to help wih the traction issue as well as my power loss issues..

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #6492 by zmon
Replied by zmon on topic Re:Questions about power loss
If you can't remember the last time you cleaned the track, then this is most likely to problem. There are several ways to clean track, and others on this site will have their preferance as well. Here's a couple of techniques.
1. Use a scrap piece of balsa wood the width of the rails, and rub them with it. You'll see it will pickup a black residue.
2. Use a ladies cosmetic pad dipped in rubbing alcohal and wipe the tracks clean.

For the loco, i imagine its a small Marklin type with three axles (six wheels total).
These little cuties are great, but not the best pullers due to their relitive light weight. So a little slipping going up hill with several cars in tow may be more than it wants to do... still a great loco.

To clean the wheels there is a simple techniqu that does not requier you taking it appart. Take a small piece of paper towel and lightly soak it in rubbing alcohal. Put it over a section of powered track, preferibly not on your layout. While holding the loco, applie powere from the transformer to get the wheels moving. Now i'm hoping your smart enough to realize that at least one set of wheels need to be off the paper towel and making contact with the powered rails... if you do this right, you will be able to wipe the wheels on the back two axles on the moistend papaer towel and clean them up. Sflip the loco around and do it again for the axels on the other side. The towel may relax into the form of the rails, and this is fine. You should see the same black residue that was on the track come off on the paper towel.

Hope this helps.... it should..

Tony B...
Wasatch Z ClubB)

More
14 years 5 months ago #6509 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Questions about power loss
Is the contact between each rail section OK? Otherwise you should consider solder a few feeders to them....

Dom

More
14 years 5 months ago #6511 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:Questions about power loss
I would start by making sure all rail joiners are being held tightly against the rails. These can loosen a bit and cause the rail to slide. Use a flat edge screw drive and push down on the side of the joiners so they are snug on the rail.

Next clean the track. Alcohol and a soft cloth works well.

The Marklin locos are light and the grade may not seem like much, but it is considerable for Z. I have the same Franklin Mint scene and also have slipping. You wont be able to get around this unless you switch locos to an AZL or a MTL.

Rob

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds