Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Sunday, April 28, 2024

Z Scale Turnout Numbers

More
14 years 4 months ago #6842 by CNz220
Z Scale Turnout Numbers was created by CNz220
Im thinking of replacing the MTL turnouts on my layout with handlaid ones. I can't remember whether the Microtrack turnouts are #4s or #6s. Does anyone know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6845 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:Z Scale Turnout Numbers
They are #6.

Rob

More
14 years 4 months ago #6848 by TailUK
Replied by TailUK on topic Re:Z Scale Turnout Numbers
I've just built my first #6 turnout using a Fast Track fitting. Easier than I expected.
Had a little trouble with 1 or 2 of the PCB ties which can de-laminate if you get them to hot but not bad.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6853 by CNz220
Replied by CNz220 on topic Re:Z Scale Turnout Numbers
Ok, so I downloaded the Fast Tracks Template for a #6 turnout, and to my dismay, I've discovered that the diverging route radius on a fast tracks turnout is 17", while MTL's is 490mm which works out to 19.6" radius. Im wondering if anyone else has experience changing out turnouts of their own and if so, did you have to make a lot of modifications to the fast tracks turnout or existing trackwork to make it fit?

More
14 years 4 months ago #6857 by TailUK
I think your'e always going to have problems matching FT turnouts to propriatory track, especially "set" track.I'd planned to use Peco code 60 Flex track but the difference in height between the FT turnouts and the tracks is causing me to re-think that. Added to this the non prototypical tie spacing on Peco track looks weird alongside the FT Quickstick turnout ties.
My money would be on Fast Track to be more "in scale" than any set track so unless your going to go completely hand built you may have to accept a little compromise in the track laying. It may mean you'll have a little "bodging" to do where the set curves connect to the turnouts to maintain the geometery.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6862 by CNz220
Well, Im using MTL flextrack, most of which has already been laid. Now that the track is down, I realize that some sort of transition is necessary between the flextrack and the turnouts themselves due to the difference in rail height. (you would think they would be a closer match.) My long range plan was to build my own turnouts and change them out one at a time, adding slow motion switch motors, realistic looking roadbed, etc. I guess I'll have to live with the uneven trackwork in the mean time.:unsure:

More
14 years 4 months ago #6867 by loadmaster
Replied by loadmaster on topic Re:Z Scale Turnout Numbers
Let me add my 2 cents. Would it be possible to use a Dremel tool and file the end of the PICO track so there is not so much of a height issue and that would also remove the bump between the track. This is just a thought and I have never tried anything like this myself.

Robert

More
14 years 4 months ago #6870 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:Z Scale Turnout Numbers
On Z Trains, the last Z Basics article discussed mixing track brands and the height issue. Here is the link:
www.ztrains.com/basics/mix/mix.html

Jerry
B)

More
14 years 4 months ago #6882 by TailUK
CRAZ13 wrote:

On Z Trains, the last Z Basics article discussed mixing track brands and the height issue. Here is the link:
www.ztrains.com/basics/mix/mix.html

Jerry
B)

Looks good. What code is MTL flexi-track?
The fast Track turnouts would be even easier to shim up as the difference between code 55 Fast Track and the code 60 Peco rail is only a fraction of a millimetre.
The weird tie spacing is more of a problem. I had a go at cutting my own Quick Stick turnout ties on the laser cutter with some sucess perhaps I could cut some using similar tie spacing to Peco track.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6905 by CNz220
MTL flex is code 55.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6919 by TailUK
cnz4956 wrote:

MTL flex is code 55.

So the only difference might be the thickness of the ties. This can rectified with card stock shims.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6920 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re:Z Scale Turnout Numbers
TailUK wrote:

cnz4956 wrote:

MTL flex is code 55.

So the only difference might be the thickness of the ties. This can rectified with card stock shims.

I'd recommend styrene. Cardstock will create problems when ballasting.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6956 by GWoodle
Replied by GWoodle on topic Re:Z Scale Turnout Numbers
I'm not sure the difference is in the thickness of the ties, but in the plastic subroadbed. The article mentions using a shim under Marklin to get it up to MTL bed. The same size shim may work under MTL flex.

The Walthers roadbed comes in 3mm & 5mm thickness. something may be useable there?
also, Midwest Products makes foam sheets with 3mm, 5mm, 10 mm thickness. It may be possible to cut a sheet to fit your needs? Could also be a way to shim buildings if you need to match a door with a platform?

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds