Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Friday, May 03, 2024

Code 40 Flex Track

More
14 years 7 months ago #5939 by Motrak
Code 40 Flex Track was created by Motrak
Morning Folks,

Maybe someone can help me out.
I am looking for 18" of code 40 flex track. Actually I need (2) 9" pieces for my
newest structure kit. If I go on line, you'll have to buy a bundle. I don't need
a bundle.
Can someone tell me where I can purchase 18" of code 40?
If someone has scrap pieces that I can have, I'll pay for shipping.

Let me know please.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #5942 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track
If I were home in Georgia, I would send two to ya, but I'm 19 hours from home. Should be a few willing Z scalers here to work with you!!!

So, what kind of kit you going to have? Z? or Nn3? If Z, Is it Transition Era or more a Modern Era kit?

Just the curious side of me!

Hobo Tim :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #5945 by Motrak
Replied by Motrak on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track
Hi Tim,

First structure kit will be the engine house that I mention awhile back.
The engine house will be made out of Hydrocal and I have the arch windows
and doors from Rich at RSLaser. I just need to sit down and start scribbing
the bricks.

But I'm also working on a stone viaduct. I don't know of anyone making arch bridges
in Z scale.

So both items can be used in the transition period.
Both items will be in Z scale.

Thanks,

More
14 years 7 months ago #5947 by HoboTim
Replied by HoboTim on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track
Sounds like you getting geared up!!! Great to hear of more people getting into Z manufacturing!!! Now we need someone to step up to the plate and get some Flex track over to ya! Any Takers?????

Hobo Tim :huh:

More
14 years 7 months ago #5948 by zthek
Replied by zthek on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track

I am looking for 18" of code 40 flex track. Actually I need (2) 9" pieces for my
newest structure kit.

I'm confused. If you need code 40 rail, I can help, but no such thing :( as code 40 flex track. Nicely weathered MTL code 55 flex track should do the job.

Lajos:)

More
14 years 7 months ago #5950 by Ztrains
Replied by Ztrains on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track
Jeff,

If you were talking about MTL Code 55 flex, that should be no problem to dig some up. If however you were looking for true Code 40 flex in Z... there is one possibility I can think of... Peter Wright over in England.

He played with this idea sometime ago and I have one of his Code 40 flex samples... it's nice stuff.

I don't know if he's making it now but you can check by contacting him through his website:

www.wrightturnouts.com/

John
www.ztrains.com

More
14 years 7 months ago #5951 by SJ-BAZ-man
Replied by SJ-BAZ-man on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track
You'll have to either hand lay the track (super easy it you are only doing 9" !!! ) or contact Peter Wright (www.wrightturnouts.com) BUT: he does NOT make it yet, only a short sample of various tie spacing, rail spikes, etc.) AND his delivery can be quite long.

or conact John Peeples at: (peebs.org/2009/09/handlaying-z-scale-track-with-code-40-rail/) as he just put an example on Trainboard: www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112216

More
14 years 7 months ago #5952 by Motrak
I changed my mind. Code 55 flex will work. I was thinking about appearance on my new stone viaduct that I will be producing soon.

So if anyone can help me out will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

More
14 years 7 months ago #6082 by Motrak
Hey Folks,

I found some code 40 rails so I'll be hand laying the track on the bridge. But I do a have question for all of you.

I'm making a 4 arch viaduct as a kit. It will be a single track viaduct.

My question is: How high you guys think I should make it?

Please give me feed back on how high the bridge should me or if you think it won't sell, let me know that too.

Thanks,

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #6083 by David K. Smith
Replied by David K. Smith on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track
Motrak wrote:

My question is: How high you guys think I should make it?

Railroad viaducts range in height substantially, from barely tall enough to drive under, to towering giants. Here is a classic image:

64.246.11.82/images/c/CR_4022_on_VIADUCT_B.jpg.25395.jpg

The "right" height, however, is dictated more by your layout--its overall size, the surrounding terrain, etc. In order to look natural, it needs to fit into its environment. It's possible to make it too tall, and then it will not only look out of place, but make the rest of the layout look less realistic.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #6084 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track
Hello Jeff,

just as David wrote, how high a bridge can be is more dictated by the surrounding. If it doesn't fit here it looks bad. But if it fits almost anything goes. My personal favorite is the Landwasser Viaduct in Switzerland. Also here on Wikipedia . The radii of this viaduct in Z would be 455mm... B)

This is not a railroad bridge, but I haven't seen any higher bridge yet:

Millau Viaduct in France (at Wikipedia ). Hight above valley floor is 270 m (886ft) for the deck and 343 m (1125ft) total for the pylons.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 7 months ago #6099 by dominique
Replied by dominique on topic Re:Code 40 Flex Track
Ztrains wrote:

Jeff,

If you were talking about MTL Code 55 flex, that should be no problem to dig some up. If however you were looking for true Code 40 flex in Z... there is one possibility I can think of... Peter Wright over in England.

He played with this idea sometime ago and I have one of his Code 40 flex samples... it's nice stuff.

I don't know if he's making it now but you can check by contacting him through his website:

Having a few Wright turnouts I remember that Peter needs a certain number of orders to produce and release his stuff... I'm not sure he has any spare code 40 flex for the moment but indeed the best is emailing him.

Dom

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds