Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Sunday, April 28, 2024

Aquatrain?

More
13 years 1 month ago #10550 by Zcratchman_Joe
Aquatrain? was created by Zcratchman_Joe
The following IS NOT recommended!

OK, I recently performed a test to see if these little locomotives could be cleaned in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner without any damage to the motor. The answer appears to be yes, they can be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner without any damage.

But something was bugging me. Just a question in the back of my head…

Can the locomotive be run, while actually being under the cleaning solution???

I took a Marklin 8800 loco (the same one I used in the ultrasonic cleaner test), dropped it in the solution until it was covered, touched leads from a Marklin power supply on its highest setting to the wheels and presto… it ran. I have no idea if this caused any damage that I can’t see yet, and I didn’t run it long as the leads kept slipping off, but after rinsing and drying, the loco again tested out perfectly.

But there are a few important side notes here:

The jewelry cleaning solution contains ammonia. From what I’ve read, ammonia gas is slightly combustible. When I dipped the “powered on” leads into the solution they immediately caused tiny bubbling (which, when these bubbles came to the surface, released the same gases which are slightly combustible). One would assume then that it’s probably not a good idea to add electricity to this bubbling solution. But I had that darned question floating around in my head to answer so I plunged ahead. And anyway, ammonia itself isn’t combustible, and the sparks would have been under the solution and hence, under the gasses… but there were still those gas bubbles floating down there too, I should worry about, right???

Well, I’m still here… no explosion… and the only real (minor) damage I found was that where I touched the leads to the wheels it had built up a brownish film I had to clean off with an electric wheel cleaner (Micro-Trains Locomotive Driver Cleaner). And a chemist would know better, but I’m thinking the brown film was rust which immediately formed as the electricity sparked across the gap, just as a spark plug sparks as the electricity arcs across the gap. The “rust” was very easily removed, but I wonder if the same sort of thing happened to the armature under the brushes as the electricity arced? If it did, one couldn’t tell by how fine it ran afterwards.

Like I said, this is NOT recommended, and was only done to quench that burning question I had. But this only stirs another question that needs answering. We now know that a loco will run under this cleaning solution. We don't know how long it will run, but it will run. The cleaning solution is much like water, and so the loco should also run under water. Water, and metal, and the rust it would cause, is never a good combination… BUT what if a person could find a very, very thin oil or something else even better that would prevent rust and yet be non-flamable/combustible?

Could a loco run under oil? A whole layout under "water", so to speak? Charlie the Tuna’s very own train? Little sardines as passengers? Crabs as porters? Lobsters as conductors? A new endless realm of scenery to scale down to size.

Now if I could only get my hands on an aquarium and 20 gallons of very, very thin oil!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #10551 by Mr.JA
Replied by Mr.JA on topic Re: Aquatrain?
Zcratchman_Joe wrote:

Just a question in the back of my head…

I read this entire post, Joe... now I have a question in the back of my head. What other strange questions / ideas are floating around in that skull of yours? ;)

More
13 years 1 month ago #10552 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: Aquatrain?
Interesting note. A few weeks ago I remember reading an article about a modeler that ran his HO trolley around a small circle of track immersed in distilled water. In this test the distilled water was measured to just be above the rails and low enough not to get the motor wet.

I think it was Carl Arendt's site that had the article along with a few photos.

More
13 years 1 month ago #10554 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic Re: Aquatrain?
Joe, this is simply the process of electro-plating. The electrical current moving thru the water drags atoms of metal from one electrical lead to the other. It's how all electro-plating methods are done. The big fear here would be that you're also 'corroding' parts of the engine, including the wheel wipers.. One of the metals is the 'source' and the other is the 'target'. Which ever metal is softer is more likely to move. Highly likely in this case that it's copper moving across... let this go on long enough (a few hours) and the wheel wipers will disolve completely.

As a secondary effect, the bubbles are formed from Hydrolysis.. breaking down the water into Oxygen and Hydrogen... I would NOT suggest letting this go on for a while and then lighting a cigarette around it. <grin> Unless you just LIKE the bald look...

Now.. what you COULD do.. is hang a testtube over the wire and catch the bubbles.. when the tube fills up, you've got 0.00001% enough hydrogen to drive your hydrogen fuel car for a foot.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you NOT try this experiment with chlorine bleach in the water.. in that case you would be releasing chlorine gas. It's been too many years since my college chemistry to attempt the calculations, but even a little chorine gas is a big problem.

There is a liquid called Fluorinert that could be used safely for liquid-based trains, but it's like $500 per gallon. It's the same stuff they used in the movie "Abyss" for underwater breathing.

More
13 years 1 month ago #10555 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Aquatrain?
Mad scientist FTW!!! Underwater trains who knew?

Zac

More
13 years 1 month ago #10556 by Zcratchman_Joe
Replied by Zcratchman_Joe on topic Re: Aquatrain?
If anyone... ANYONE would know the answers, I knew it would be you Stony. ;) I’ll assume Fluorinert is colorless. And I guess I wouldn’t need 20 gallons. Five gallons should work just fine; I’d just find a suitably low, waterproof, box. But still, that’s a $2,500.00+ experiment. I think I’ll leave it open for a club to pool their resources and do it… But donations are more than welcome. It sure would be a kick at a show, wouldn’t it? :laugh:

More
13 years 1 month ago #10557 by stonysmith
Replied by stonysmith on topic Re: Aquatrain?
Yeah, sorry for that.. I really struggle with trying not to sound like a know-it-all, because I don't.. Just ask Steve about my adventures with bolsters. <grin>

But.. I didn't want you to destroy an engine or blow up your workshop either. <grin>

More
13 years 1 month ago #10558 by Zcratchman_Joe
No, don't get me wrong Stony. That's one of your qualities. And the same know-it-all thing happens to me all the time... (the fact that I know a bit, didn't help a couple of marriages either, but that's another story... although I can tell you that one wife used to call me Attorney Dr. Bob Villa Trebek - I know, kind of a mouthful, but she was well winded, trust me). But getting back to your comments, that is what a forum is for. In fact I was going to either research these findings, or simply ask you about my results before I published them, but I figured, if there was something important to say, you'd say it here, as you did.

Still in one piece,
Joe

More
13 years 1 month ago #10559 by slugger
Replied by slugger on topic Re: Aquatrain?

Joe, in my oppinion Stony does know everthing. BUT NOT about those darn bolsters!!!!
LOL I dont know how many times ive had to help him with bolsters and how they work.
hehehehe
In all honesty, Stony is a great source of knowledge and has helped me alot so i trust what he told you in his post.
Good luck with your tests of under water running. I think you have become the "Mad scientist" of z scale. not sure that is a good thing ;)

Steve aka "Slugger" B)
Attachments:

More
13 years 1 month ago #10560 by Mr.JA
Zcratchman_Joe wrote:

... (the fact that I know a bit, didn't help a couple of marriages either, but that's another story...

I told you, Joe... which is a better return for your money... dog or wife? ;)

More
13 years 1 month ago #10561 by Zcratchman_Joe
TechRep wrote:

Zcratchman_Joe wrote:

... (the fact that I know a bit, didn't help a couple of marriages either, but that's another story...

Ummm, does your wife know you feel this way towards her? :woohoo:

More
13 years 1 month ago #10562 by soccrdad30
Replied by soccrdad30 on topic Re: Aquatrain?
Well, I was right, the immersed layout article is in Carl Arendt's site. Somehow the distilled water was measured upto the Trolley's axles.

Sadly his site is slowly falling apart. Here was the link to the article.

Small Layout ScrapbookThe trolley car (tram) magically circles the baseboard, completely submerged up to its axles in distilled water, trailing small waves in its wake. ...
carendt.us/scrapbook/page60a/ - Cached

More
13 years 1 month ago #10563 by Mr.JA
Zcratchman_Joe wrote:

TechRep wrote:

Zcratchman_Joe wrote:

Ummm, does your wife know you feel this way towards her? :woohoo:

She earns her keep... B)

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds