Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Was ist lose?

More
15 years 6 months ago #303 by bsteg
Was ist lose? was created by bsteg
mein Hund ist lose.....nur ein Witz. keine Sorge. nicht zutreffend. ist Übersetzung gut? :blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #305 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Was ist lose?
Hello Brad,

bsteg wrote:

mein Hund ist lose.....nur ein Witz. keine Sorge. nicht zutreffend. ist Übersetzung gut? :blink:

My [your] dog is coming out of glue...? :)

I don't know what the original words were, that you translated to "mein Hund ist lose", but I think it might have been "My dog is loose" which means the dog is running not on his leash...

"lose" in German means something isn't fixed tightly. Like a screw in a thread that isn't screwed completely in, or a brick that has lost the mortar to hold him in the wall, then the brick might be "lose", and can be taken out of the wall with out using tools or force. In combination with a living thing you normally won't use "lose". Except maybe in a funny way if someone has a broken arm, then you could say "Dein Arm ist lose!" But this would mean that you know this person well enough to make a joke like this...

I don't like any computer translations, except of single words. There are to much hidden or different meanings in certain combination of words. Like this:

"If you have nothing on, I will come!"

This is a simple sentence, that is relatively free of dangers, but if you translate this word by word to German it reads:

"Wenn Du nichts an hast, werde ich kommen!"

and if you translate this orretly back to English it reads:

"If you are undressed, I will c_m!"

you see, quick and easy translations can be dangerous...

(I found this example in a book for American students who want to go to Germany for an exchange.)

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 6 months ago #307 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:Was ist lose?
Huh???????????????
:silly: :silly::S :huh: :blink: :huh:

More
15 years 6 months ago #308 by ULie
Hello J. Craig,

CRAZ13 wrote:

Huh???????????????
:silly: :silly::S :huh: :blink: :huh:

well I thought Brad asked about his translation. And that triggered my answer. Automatic translation is something I don't like very much. Except if I'm in the mood and I need a quick good laugh. Then I take a text, send a through any translationg software or service on the net for translation to another language. And then I take the result and send it back for translation to the first language again. Just try that once...:) :)

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #309 by Socalz44
Replied by Socalz44 on topic Re:Was ist lose?
Isn't it "was ist los"? Cheers, Jim CCRR:huh:

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #310 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:Was ist lose?

well I thought Brad asked about his translation. And that triggered my answer. Automatic translation is something I don't like very much. Except if I'm in the mood and I need a quick good laugh. Then I take a text, send a through any translationg software or service on the net for translation to another language. And then I take the result and send it back for translation to the first language again. Just try that once...:) :)

Just my attempt at humor. Actually I found your response quite amusing. I'll have to try it.

JC:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: B)

More
15 years 6 months ago #311 by ULie
Socalz44 wrote:

Isn't it "was ist los"? Cheers, Jim CCRR:huh:

..what's going on...???

;) ;) ;)

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 6 months ago #312 by ULie

Just my attempt at humor. Actually I found your response quite amusing. I'll have to try it.

JC:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: B)

have fun...

:lol: :lol: :whistle: :whistle:

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 6 months ago #320 by bsteg
Replied by bsteg on topic Re:Was ist lose?
Ich bilde Stimmung, Maschinelle Übersetzung, Ich denke Ich bin klug. Jedoch, Ich baue auf Ihrem Englisch.

Ich denke, dass Sie mich verstehen, aber meine amerikanischen Freunde tun nicht.

Auf Wiedersehen:P

More
15 years 6 months ago #326 by Kelley
Replied by Kelley on topic Re:Was ist lose?
OH Wunderbar! Die Europäer sind wieder da!
Geht irgendjemand noch Köln?

More
15 years 6 months ago #337 by Radialman
Replied by Radialman on topic Re:Was ist lose?
ULie wrote:

"If you have nothing on, I will come!"

This is a simple sentence, that is relatively free of dangers, but if you translate this word by word to German it reads:

"Wenn Du nichts an hast, werde ich kommen!"

and if you translate this orretly back to English it reads:

"If you are undressed, I will c_m!"

you see, quick and easy translations can be dangerous...
quote]

Actually, Ulie, if you write, "If you have nothing on," it implies you are not clothed, at least in American English. Not sure if that is what you meant. There is a difference in American and British English.

More
15 years 6 months ago #341 by Harry
Replied by Harry on topic Re:Was ist lose?
Kelley wrote:

OH Wunderbar! Die Europäer sind wieder da!
Geht irgendjemand noch Köln?

bin am 9.11. da.

More
15 years 6 months ago #342 by Harry
bsteg wrote:

Ich bilde Stimmung, Maschinelle Übersetzung, Ich denke Ich bin klug. Jedoch, Ich baue auf Ihrem Englisch.

Ich denke, dass Sie mich verstehen, aber meine amerikanischen Freunde tun nicht.

Auf Wiedersehen:P

okay Brad ;)

However, there still a mistake :huh:

More
15 years 6 months ago #344 by Harry
Radialman wrote:

Actually, Ulie, if you write, "If you have nothing on," it implies you are not clothed, at least in American English. Not sure if that is what you meant. There is a difference in American and British English.[/quote]

yes :huh:

>>>>Eigentlich, Ulie, wenn Sie schreiben: "Wenn Sie nichts auf," es bedeutet, dass Sie sind nicht bekleidet, zumindest in amerikanischem Englisch. Nicht sicher, ob es das ist, was Sie gemeint. Es gibt einen Unterschied in der amerikanischen und britischen Englisch.<<<<

PS: Ich habe in der Schule nie englisch gelernt ( damals Sonderschule für Gehörlose gibt kein Englisch-Unterricht :( )

mit Zeichensprache habe ich kein Problem ;)

More
15 years 6 months ago #359 by ULie
Hello Jeremy,

Radialman wrote:

Actually, Ulie, if you write, "If you have nothing on," it implies you are not clothed, at least in American English. Not sure if that is what you meant. There is a difference in American and British English.

seems I have to be corrected, but then I as I wrote, I remember this example from a book for American students preparing for a stay in Germany. The book I did read when I was visiting the family of a exchange student back in 1987 in Sumner near Auburn, WA who had been in our family in 1984 (and she has visited our family again this year in summer). In this book the sentence above was meant as to say: "If you don't have anything else to do...".

As we can see often the same words mean different things to different people, even in the same language. Which makes it even harder to rely solely on a automatic translation.

But one more thing is that I'm grateful even for this discussion, since it helps me to stay on the carpet (as we use to say in German) about my language skills. I had, and still have, to work for them...

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 6 months ago #360 by ULie
Hallo Harry,
Harry wrote:

>>>>Eigentlich, Ulie, wenn Sie schreiben: "Wenn Sie nichts auf," es bedeutet, dass Sie sind nicht bekleidet, zumindest in amerikanischem Englisch. Nicht sicher, ob es das ist, was Sie gemeint. Es gibt einen Unterschied in der amerikanischen und britischen Englisch.<<<<

PS: Ich habe in der Schule nie englisch gelernt ( damals Sonderschule für Gehörlose gibt kein Englisch-Unterricht :( )

mit Zeichensprache habe ich kein Problem ;)

Die obige Übersetzung ist noch recht genau, wenn auch ein paar kleine Feinheiten verloren gegangen sind, und die Grammatik ziemlich schlecht ist. Bei komplizierteren Texten, vor allem mit längeren Sätzen, wird es oft sehr ungenau oder gar völlig falsch.

In der Schule habe ich auch nur anfangs richtig Englisch gelernt. In den letzten Schuljahren habe ich durch persönliche Faulheit meine Schulnote in den Keller gefahren (Abschlussnote 5 in der Realschule). Erst durch den Kontakt zu Freunden im Ausland und Austauschschülern die in unserer Familie lebten kam das Interesse und der Wunsch fremde Sprachen zu verstehen. Das führte dann dazu das ich Dänisch neu lernte, und dann an meinem Englisch weiterarbeitete.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
15 years 6 months ago #371 by bsteg
Replied by bsteg on topic Re:Was ist lose?

ULie wrote:

But one more thing is that I'm grateful even for this discussion, since it helps me to stay on the carpet (as we use to say in German) about my language skills. I had, and still have, to work for them...

Ich schätze wir haben sie hier für die Überwachung diese diskussionen in der deutschen sprache. :P

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #393 by ULie
Hello Brad,
bsteg wrote:

Ich schätze wir haben sie hier für die Überwachung diese diskussionen in der deutschen sprache. :P

:) well, so I might call this a double oportunity...
...or may be the term "a win-win sitiuation" is the better choice? :P :P :P

...men det kan lige så godt være at man kalder det en win-win-win mulighed...

undskyld, men jeg kunne ikke ladt være...

:P :P :P :P

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

Moderators: ULie
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds