Forgot Login?   Sign up  
Saturday, May 18, 2024

Who...How...What...

More
15 years 14 hours ago #4725 by ztrack
Replied by ztrack on topic Re:Who...How...What...
His initials wouldn't happen to be RBC?

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 12 hours ago #4726 by goobnav
Replied by goobnav on topic Re:Who...How...What...
Rob,

Right track wrong siding:unsure: . See, people are thinking. Jerry, no help here, the clues are there for everybody else. We both know the answer. Rob keep working you'll see a lot more about history. Fred, I thought you were Navy, why are you citing an Army general? This question should be in the dock for you, hehe, :).

More
15 years 11 hours ago #4729 by craZ13
Replied by craZ13 on topic Re:Who...How...What...
Eric,

Mums the word:blink:

And you don't know how hard it is for me to be quiet:P

Jerry

More
14 years 11 months ago #4731 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic Re:Who...How...What...
awe- come on Jerry- do a little blabbing :evil:
Anonamouse

More
14 years 11 months ago #4733 by goobnav
Fred,

You want some cheese with that wine? :huh::ohmy::S

More
14 years 11 months ago #4748 by goobnav
Fred,

S.B.E. :whistle: :whistle:

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4753 by Fred
S.B. Waiting for some more blather, or blabber
signed from a blitherer ;)

More
14 years 11 months ago #4756 by GNFan
Replied by GNFan on topic Re:Who...How...What...
Fred wrote:

S.B. Waiting for some more blather, or blabber
signed from a blitherer ;)

Oh, blother, er, brother!

More
14 years 11 months ago #4758 by Fred
We may not have the answers-- but we sure got da cents of humorgestefenzieklop.
Boy- I hope that REALLY doesn't mean anything!:P

More
14 years 11 months ago #4764 by goobnav
Meaning, schmeaning. Nicht, sprechen sie Deutche.

Anonicato!!! :silly:

More
14 years 11 months ago #4897 by ULie
Replied by ULie on topic Re:Who...How...What...
Hello Eric,

how's this question going? No correct answer yet?

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 11 months ago #4902 by goobnav
No answer yet, Ulie. You are welcome to try.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4907 by ULie
Hey Eric,

that was easy....

...well, back then when the question was posted I thought: No chance, I have no idea at all...

..but now I saw that the answer is in the picture, even if I didn't recognize the guy by sight...

You should have renamed the picture...
...Google was my friend... :whistle:

goobnav wrote:

Who is this man?

William Graham Claytor , Jr. (March 14, 1912–May 14, 1994)

What Fallen Flag did he run?

Southern Railway serving as president from 1967-1977

What current Class I did he run?

Amtrak from 1982 to 1993

How did he save somebody?

In August 1945, Claytor sped without orders to investigate reports of men floating in the water. As the Doyle approached the area at night, Claytor turned the ship's searchlights on the water and straight up on low clouds, lighting up the night, despite the risk of exposing his ship to possible attack by Japanese submarines. These actions facilitated the rescue of the survivors of the sunken cruiser USS Indianapolis.

Well, do I have to find a new question... :whistle:

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 11 months ago #4910 by goobnav
Funny,

You were the only one to investigate for that Ulie I give you 50 pts. Its your turn with the question. Fred, see you can't complain about a picture any more. :lol:

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4913 by craZ13
goobnav wrote:

Alright, At least someone has an idea of what I'm looking for although, Jerry you might be on the right track just the wrong siding,B)

Eric,
The reason for the "Virginian" clue was Mr. Claytor was raised in Virginia and Philadelphia.:P

Good job Uwe, look forward to a new question.

...Google was my friend...

I didn't see a title on the photo and can you Google a picture?

I Googled "Class 1 railroad presidents" and that led to a site of the 5 most influential people in modern railroads and there he was.
I assume your "nuclear" clue, Eric, was in reference to his tenure as Secretary of the Navy?

Thanks,
Jerry
B)

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4918 by ULie
Hello Eric,

actually going for the file name of the picture was the last resort to go to, since I had no idea who that guy could be. I should have looked earlier, I got the answer in a just a minute...

Hello Jerry,
CRAZ13 wrote:

Good job Uwe, look forward to a new question.

...Google was my friend...

I didn't see a title on the photo and can you Google a picture?

Just go over the picture with the mouse and then hit the right mouse button. Then you get options for the picture. One is to copy the adress of the picture. I got lost with the name in the second posting where Eric again posted the questions. But in the original posting the file is just named "Claytor.gif". Now you have to remove the ZCentral part of the pictures adress, and then you can search for "Claytor.gif" at Google. Then you get a link to the picture with the usage of it in Wikipedia. Another way is just to Google for "Claytor", but here it is the link number eight that goes to Wikipedia. Wikipedia is another friend in this game.

I assume your "nuclear" clue, Eric, was in reference to his tenure as Secretary of the Navy?

I believe it is in reference to the USS Indianapolis who transported parts of Little Boy to Tinian.

Well, give me a moment to think about the question. I had an idea last night, but I have to find it in a way that can be found in the Internet. It would be unfair if I just used a book I have as a reference.

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

More
14 years 11 months ago #4919 by goobnav
Jerry,

As soon as I saw that "Virigian" clue I thought people would get it but, unfortunately, they missed a good clue, except You, Ulie, & myself. The nuclear clue was in reference to the USS Indianapolis and his role in saving the crew from their untimely fate after delivering the "Bomb", Fred should have picked up on that, :whistle: but, oh well.

Ulie, you better come up with a hum-dinger of question. I need my brain to be exercised while I am on vacation at the beach next week. Going to the Outer Banks of NC and then to Busch Gardens in Virginia for some fun. Good Luck, everybody.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4928 by craZ13
Uwe,
Thanks for the explanation. Slowly but surely I'm learning all of these short cuts to travel the internet.

For some reason I didn't connect the Indianapolis with her secret mission....doooh!

Look forward to a good challenge.

Jerry
B)

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #4929 by ULie
Well, then let's try this. It won't be to hard, but since it is placed in my neck of the woods who knows...

Back in 1831 some merchants from Lübeck in Germany wanted a railline from Lübeck to Hamburg. Since the land between Hamburg and Lübeck back then belonged to the Danish king he was asked for but denied permission to build the line. In 1843 they tried it again, and even if it was concidered a competition for the line between Kiel and Altona (back then not a part of Hamburg), the permisson was granted in 1847 from the Danish government after even countrys like France and Russia voted for the new line. The only change was in building the line not between Hamburg and Lübeck, but going directly south toward the small town of Büchen, where the new line connected with the line from Hamburg to Berlin. Now the line was 35 km longer, but had the same lenght as the line from Kiel to Altona... politics at it's best/worst... In October 1851 the new Lübeck-Büchener Eisenbahn (LBE) started their service.

In 1863 the LBE could finally start building the original planned direct line, wich opend service in 1865. This line was very sucessful, so that in 1875-76 a second track was build for the line. On this line a fast service was soon wanted and needed. In 1936 and 1937 three engines where build from Henschel. That is the same company who made the famous Henschel-Wegmann Zug . The Engines numberd as "LBE Nos. 1 to 3" were streamlined and later five older engines were also covered with a streamlined hull. For those engines the LBE did build eight double deck streamlined trains with two cars each. One is still in use from a club in Lübeck, and currently parked in the newly rebuild main station in Lübeck when not in use for rides:

And now for the question:

What does all this have to do with Steamboat Willie?

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe
Attachments:

More
14 years 10 months ago #5360 by ULie
well, well...

I'm somewhat disapointed that nobody tried to answer this one. But then I did read a posting lately saying something like that this thread isn't that important anyway...

OK, I will then clear the fog and answer the question to close this riddle...

The answer can be found if you take the name of the railline " Lübeck-Büchener Eisenbahn " in to wikipedia. Then you get a list of articles. The first one is named like a phrase in my question: " LBE Nos. 1 to 3 ". And in here you find the answer:

Locomotives LBE 1 and 2 were delivered in 1936; LBE 3, which with its larger water tank and boiler appeared somewhat heavier, followed one year later. The engines had a top speed of 120 km/h and were used in push-pull services. Due to their appearance and grey livery they were soon nicknamed "Micky Mouse".

Micky Mouse was also known as " Steamboat Willie ". And that's all I wanted to read... :huh:

GreetingZ, HilZen,

Uwe

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds